Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I feel like the worst dog mom ever today

A couple of months ago Gunner had to have two tooth extractions because of marrow bones. Well, this weekend I was out doing yard work and he found an old marrow bone in the front yard bushes. Not even sure how it got there because he's not usually in the front yard. I didn't think much of it at the time, I guess I figured what could go wrong in five minutes with a bone? Finished up the weeding and then tossed the bone in with the weeds and into the yard waste bin it went (much to his dismay).

Wouldn't you know it, he was drooling that night. I look around in his mouth, and he broke another tooth. I'm just sick about it. Pretty stupid of me.

Guess we'll be off to the vet again this week. Poor dog, and it's all my fault. Ugh.

House Broken
    We all make mistakes with our dogs. Just get it taken care of and move forward.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridget For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

Ack! Ya know, crap happens. If not that bone, maybe he would have broken it on something else. Maybe he has something going on with his teeth? Did the vet mention anything you could do or maybe an underlying cause?

Well wishes for your vet visit.
    Charlie and Burton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Sounds like his teeth break easily, you can't really prevent him from putting things in his mouth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

I was concerned when Tux fractured the tip of an incisor on a marrow bone. Turned out to be not a big deal, and my vet actually said she would not refrain from giving him marrow bones, that dogs need to chew, mainly for their mental health. So I would not beat yourself up over this at all, it sounds like he does just have teeth that break easily, unfortunately. Heck, I have a friend who had a dog awhile back that fractured a tooth while chewing kibble! There is a good chance the tooth would have broken anyways on something, even if he didn’t get the marrow bone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

It's so hard with our labs to be vigilant 24/7 with their drive to chew things. Things happen in spite of our best intentions. He will be fine I'm sure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

How could you have known. Gosh, Potion broke a molar on an ice cube. He'll do fine-Archie is completely missing 9 teeth and you would not know it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-28-2014)

Thanks everyone for making me feel a bit better about it. Just kicking myself because I swore off marrow bones after the last extractions, but he was so happy when he found his prize in the bushes I figured it wouldn't hurt if he had a couple minutes of fun...

And yes, I do wonder if there's something going on with his teeth. He went 6 years with no marrow bone issues, then these issues seemingly all at once. When he had his extractions, the vet said the teeth looked great, so I dunno.

At least his issues are with the middle teeth and not the big molars (or canines, for that matter).

We all know dog Moms and Pops who could benefit from lessons from you. No way you are in the same group as some; then a lot of us would be too, me for sure. Gunner will get over it, it was a mistake. He loves you no matter what.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-29-2014)

It's hard not to blame ourselves but you can't. You can just get it taken care of and something different to chew on.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

monsterpup (07-29-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos