Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tie Out

Puppy

Tie Out

Hello! Hazel is a very energetic 7 month old puppy as some of you may know from previous posts! My question is about tie outs... we have a very large yard but it is not fenced in. SHe needs exercise but there is only so much I can do without a fence because she runs off... I was thinking of getting a trolley type tie out for her. I would be out there with her of course, but this way I could throw a ball and let her run and play and get rid of some energy, because we all know a tired lab is a good lab! Is this a good idea, can you recommend a brand? She is big, 7 months old and just under 70 pounds.
    My older lab was a lot different and easier to train!

I wouldn't recommend any sort of a tie-out, instead look into an invisible fence or, ideally, a physical one. Otherwise, take to her to another safe, fenced-in, area for exercise.

A tie outs are only appropriate to keep your dog tethered during a stationary activity. Playing on a tie out is really dangerous. Your dog could hurt it's neck if it ran full speed toward a ball and reached the end of the tie out. Or worse, it could break it's leg if the cord got wrapped around.

I second the recommendation for an invisible fence.

Run her on a long line, not on anything tied down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-28-2014)

Puppy
    Thank You. Unfortunately a fence isn't a possibility right now. I have an acre and a half of property that we use all of, I would need to fence the entire yard. Can't afford that right now. I don't really think she wold do well at a dog park off of a leash... she is a total bully! She loves other dogs, and is around them, but most dogs don't like her. Trying to socialize her has been difficult because she is rough and ready all the time! So we do it slowly with a leash... that still doesn't help me with allowing her to run! Is a a tie out dangerous? I would be out there with her the whole time... I am so torn as to what to do. I have never had this problem before, she's my most difficult! But she is SO cute!!!!

Puppy
    Yes, we were looking into the trolley overhead type... like a 60 foot one. Now I don't know what to do.

Anything with a stationary end poses a chance for stringing up the dog and choking it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Tanya (07-28-2014)

Obedience classes would help with socialization and provide some mental exercise. Are there any public tennis courts you could use in off hours?
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Puppy
    Thank you all.. You're responses of what could happen are exactly what I was worried about happening... her running too hard and hurting her neck. I am at a loss as to how to exercise her... money is tight right now, so hiring a trainer (which I already did once), fencing my yard, are not options right now. We will have to stick to playing ball in the house!

Puppy
    Am I allowed to bring her to a public tennis court at night??

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos