Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Is there a dog that looks like small lab?!

So woman in my neighborhood has what looks like a 30ish lb chocolate lab. I see the dog occasionally and it once got out and came to my yard. Friendly, sweet dog. But full grown and looks like a lab but smaller. My parents live way out in the country and few weeks ago a dog showed up in the yard. Looks just like a black lab but it is about same size as the other dog in the 30ish lb range.

So I am wondering if I just happened to see two smaller dogs that maybe are mixed with lab and got the lab physical traits outside of size? Or if there is a breed that happens to look a lot like a small lab.

It's probably a lab mix. Lab traits tend to be very dominant. so most lab mixes look a lot like labs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

fan of fanboys (07-29-2014)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by emma_Dad View Post
    It's probably a lab mix. Lab traits tend to be very dominant. so most lab mixes look a lot like labs.

That makes sense. I am not knowledgeable about dominat/recessive traits/genes or which breeds tend to dominate features/traits when mixed.

Both of them are very energetic and friendly like labs. My parents newly acquired one does well with my lab. Actually runs faster than mine ha.

My sister has a dog that is a lab/jrt mix. She is about 30 lbs and looks like a mini yellow lab. I call her Cabo’s mini me, though Cabo is on the small side himself at only about 50lbs. And Cabo is a purebred lab at that weight, though he doesn’t come from a reputable breeder or anything.

Here is a pic of Cabo and Goldie:

Most likely a mix, even though there are idiots out there who think they are breeding "mini-labs"....so you never know.

Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

House Broken
    There are people doing it intentionally. There is a Lab Beagle mix that plays in our group. The owner claims it was intentionally done to make the Lab smaller. Ugh! What she really has is a Lab sized Beagle. It howls and barks like a Beagle.

House Broken
    I also have a Lab/JR mix. He looks very much like a small field line Lab.

Puppy
    One of my college roommates had a purebred lab that weighed in at about 35 pounds. She was a Seeing Eye dog (roommate was blind) and bred through the Seeing Eye's breeding program, so definitely not a mix. Just petite. And since the roommate was petite, they wanted to match her to a petite dog. Her subsequent dogs (she's now on her 3rd dog) have been under 40 lbs also.

As others have said, it's most likely a mix. We get them in rescue from time to time, look exactly like a lab, just small. We like to call them pocket labs, but they are mixes. My purebred chocolates are small, Lily is about 53 pounds and Brandy is around 58. They are from different breeders and not related at all. But 30 pounds full grown is too small to be purebred (assuming we're talking about a dog at a healthy weight). I have heard about morons out there breeding "mini labs," but I think the likelihood that's what these 2 dogs are is pretty slim.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos