Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What would you suggest?

I have a very good friend who has just moved into a larger apartment with her partner and their two cats. It's been a lifelong dream of hers to have a dog, and she feels like now would be the right time.

I offered to help research some breeds.

Her criteria - can live in an apartment, minimal barking, friendly with cats, can go on long hikes (they live in Alberta and like to explore in the mountains, wilderness, etc.). Size ideally would be small or medium - under 50 lbs. I would also think that because this is her first experience with having a dog, it should be a relatively easy critter with minimal quirks and a desire to please.

She volunteers at her local SPCA and fell in love with a little border collie cross, however when they tested her with cats it didn't go well, so back to the drawing board.

I've researched a lot of small breeds because she thinks a small breed in the apartment would be best, but none seem to fit the bill.

I was thinking her criteria sound like a 4-5 year old lab, and started wondering if she should contact reputable local lab breeders to see if any have older adults available - if I can convince her that having a bigger dog in the apartment isn't a big deal.

What would your suggestions be for breed? What do you think of my lab idea? (also, if you know of any breeders in Alberta you'd like to suggest, feel free to PM me)
    Last edited by Archie; 07-30-2014 at 08:25 AM.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

I am very unfamiliar with the breed, but a friend of mine who spent the past year touring the country to visit all of the best rock climbing locations while living out of a Dodge Sprinter has a blue heeler that is a perfect dog for her. She's super fun around the crag and a great outdoor dog, but small enough that she fits in the van. I don't know about her behavior around cats, but she's been super great and adaptable with the inconsistency of life on the road. Katie adopted her pup halfway through the trip when she found a friend fostering the abandoned litter, and she jut fell in love with the little girl. So she's been raising a puppy while on the road and the pup is just so well adjusted and behaved, I wonder if she was just lucky, a great pup mom, or if its inherent to the breed.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

i agree on a lab. Also, I have heard that greyhounds are great apartment dogs, but sometimes are ok with cats. I would stay away from any herding breed.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Your friend and I have exactly the same situation. Luna is my first dog. She never barks (n her entire little life, twice at deer and once at my brother, who I have to admit, is a really creepy looking dude). We have a 15 year old declawed cat (important to mention because she can't defend herself) and live in a 1200 square foot apartment, and are super active.

Luna has been a great fit for our family, and she just had her first birthday. We cannot WAIT to buy a house because it will be way easier to play fetch and tire little Luna out. She's a little small still for a Lab (around 19" at the withers and 55 pounds), but even if she were bigger it would be fine. Our downstairs neighbors in an identical apartment have 2 cats and a bigger dog (border collie mix, 70 pounds but probably 25" at the withers) and he's a little big, but fits fine.

I think a 4-5 year old Lab would be perfect.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A Lab would be fine. Or a golden, even. I would stay away from herding breeds as well.

Anyone have experience with Havanese?
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

The trainer for the CGN course that Ram and I took had a Havanese that she brought to class with her. He would just sit on a table and watch the class, and he also did the demo with her if required. He was very quiet, didn't seem to be a yapper, and he wasn't timid like some other smaller breeds.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

A Lab, why not? We live in an apartment and never had a problem. Yes, you need to walk the dog 3x a day (even if you don't feel like it) but she will have to do the same thing with a smaller dog A Lab needs exercise and they sound like pretty active people, I think a Lab would be a good fit.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I had a friend that had a Havanese. Very sweet dog, they are similar to Malteses and Bichons.

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    I had a friend that had a Havanese. Very sweet dog, they are similar to Malteses and Bichons.
    But hiking with them?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos