House Broken

Good interactive / mentally stimulating toys??

Hi all - Jackson is having arthroscopic surgery on his elbow in two weeks (he jammed his elbow when he was a pup and that has manifested in mild arthritis) and we'll have to keep him quiet and contained for 6 weeks post-op. He doesn't jump onto furniture, and our master bedroom (where he sleeps in his dog bed) is on the ground floor, so we don't have to worry about steps or anything like that. But he's still a 2-year old lab and I suspect that he's going to start going stir crazy after a few days.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for good toys that can tire him out, mentally? He's a power chewer, so we can't do plush things and he tends to destroy bully sticks in 20 minutes, flat. He "puppy-pounces" on bouncy toys, so we can't really go with Jolly balls or the like either. We plan on feeding him through frozen Kongs and provide lots of bones to chew (split elk antlers and some beef bones my husband found at Whole Foods), but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sounds like a job for the Pickle!!!

Old joke lost on the old forums before the crash. Anyway, about my pickle.....

Pickle Pocket, really like a Kong, rubber, Mint scented, no idea why a pickle is mint scented. It has 3 grooves down the sides. I take a knife and smear peanut butter in the grooves and then I stuff several pieces of kibble down in the grooves as well. Peanut butter holds them in even if they bite and crush the kibble. This can be frozen too. Add what ever you like to the pickle.

Amazon.com : Starmark Treat Dispensing Pickle Pocket for Dogs : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

Oh yeah and Hemi's Secret Santa got Hemi a nice toy this year

Hide a squirrel.
    Amazon.com : Kyjen PP01056 Hide-A-Squirrel Squeak Toy Dog Toys 4-Piece, Large, Brown : Pet Squeak Toys : Pet Supplies

Hemi's is bigger, I looked but couldn't find the exact one Hemi got. Still even the small one is a lot of fun. We still play with it today. It is not one you can just leave him alone with. The squirrels are kind of small. I get down on the floor with Hemi and stuff all the squirrels in and he just has to take them all out. Each squirrel has a squeaker in it. Once he gets one out and squeaks it, I am like Oh no, there are more in here. He drops it and investigate and tries to get the rest out. Meanwhile I pick up the one he dropped, wait for another to come out. While he is busy with that, I stuff the one he dropped earlier back into the tree, squeaking it as I do. Oh no, more squirrels Hemi. Repeat. Keeps him entertained for a half hour or so. Then we put them up to play with again later. Again we play with it supervised but he has a lot of fun. Sometime he grabs the whole tree and shakes it and squirrels go flying everywhere. I have had to rescue squirrels from behind the couch, in the Christmas tree, one from on top of the curtains.

House Broken
    OMG, that squirrel toy sounds absolutely adorable! We're happy to give him a few new toys that require full supervision - he normally destroys plush things, but if we're watching him, then I think it'll be just fine. And I think the pickle will be a nice change from his normal Kong - thanks for both of these recommendations!

Chester loves the Pickle Pocket! I highly recommend it. I spread a small piece of cheddar cheese in the groves and he goes nuts.
    Hidden Content
    Chester : Born December 11, 2013

That Pickle Pocket looks like fun!

Senior Dog
    When he can use his paws again, the Nina Ottoson puzzles are awesome: Amazon.com: Nina Ottosson: Pet Supplies
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

I just picked up a pickle pocket this morning at PetSmart and Thor is currently working hard at it! I shoved a couple of Zukes mini training treats in the grooves and he definitely has to work to get at them. 6 mini treats has kept him busy for a solid 30 minutes - I'd say that's a success! Once he gets the hang of it I'll have to try freezing cheese or apple sauce or peanut butter in there.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos