Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chili stopped eating

yesterday morning chili decided he wasnt going to eat his 1.5 cup pro plan sport 30/20 cup of kibble with the normal hylasport/fish oil supplements added. He has already had 1 big bag of this kibble the month prior and he seemed to like it so this is odd. He does eat treats of nibbles of what I eat and did eat his dinner/kibble meal sometime when I was asleep at night...now its breakfast time again and he wont eat. I checked his teeth/mouth and felt his stomach to see if I could notice any pain/problems but he seems healthy. how much kibble should I be feeding him? he is 12 months old. last 2 days he has only eaten 1.5 cups of kibble(half of the 3 cups a day I have been feeding). I took him to the dog park on monday and he played and had fun/ramming around with 10+ dogs for 45 minutes and got some compliments on his good looks.

my gut is telling me he just doesnt need 3 cups a day anymore...or he is depressed cause he cant goto the dog park everyday...any thoughts?
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Has it gotten extra hot there, or has there been a change in his activities?

It might just be coincidence, but at the exact same age, Archie stopped eating. Then he hit another growth spurt at around 13 months and was back to chowing down. I'm thinking it was a combination of heat and not growing as much.

As for the amount, I'm not a Pro plan feeder so not sure.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

He on and Medications for pain? Not sure if anything still for his elbows.

Still pooping normal?

For Chili, 3 cups should still be fine. He is young, healthy, and active. So I would be concerned as well. Labs don't typically stop eating usually something is wrong when this happens.

Poop is very telling. This could be a blockage and food not going through. As long as everything coming out ok then not a blockage.

Pain Meds Especially NSAIDS like duramax is notorious for stomach issues. This could be serious and you should talk to the vet sooner than later.

Food might be bad? Check for expiration date or something else.

no medications, and it has been rainy alot lately. his poops were fine monday...need to pay attention to his next one. food is a new bag...i dont know how to tell if its spoiled? guess I could go buy a different small bag of food and give that a try.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Tux freaked me out a couple weeks ago when all of a sudden he didn’t want to eat. That had never before happened in his six years. He would eventually eat his meals, but I had to talk him into it which isn’t normal. He did also have diarrhea at the same time, but no vomiting. I was concerned enough to where I took him to the vet to do a full blood panel. It came out normal and he went back to eating like normal, so I think he just had a tummy bug. I would think 2-3 cups a day would be about what Chili should be eating, he is young and sounds fairly active. When I fed kibble, Tux ate two cups a day and Cabo ate about three or more. And with him being a lab, they will generally inhale whatever they are given…so to me it would be strange for him not to eat it b/c it is too much food.

I’d keep an eye on him, is he pooping normal? Anything else going on (meds, weather, etc) that might affect his appeteite? I don’t like to overreact about things when it could just be a tummy bug, but if this keeps going on might not hurt to have some bloodwork done.

Sounds to me like Chili ate his dinner in the middle of the night or early this morning and just wasn't hungry for breakfast. If it were me, I would nix any treats or extra nibbles of any kind until dinner. Then give him his allotment of kibble. If he won't eat, try making a game out of it and hand feeding him while training. In the mean time, you could return the current bag for a new one and see if that makes any difference.

I think it will help you to have set meal times and only leave the food out for any where from 10 - 20 mins, perhaps even feeding him in his crate so he can't get distracted.

I would still feed at least 3 cups a day. 1.5 does not sound like enough. I would wonder if he is finding food sources elsewhere you don't know about.

Good luck, I hope Chili is OK.
    Charlie and Burton

I would try a new bag of food, that one may be spoiled.

We had a similar experience with Bacon. However ours was coupled with bile puking from the lack of eating. We finally just gave food at each meal, and he finally caught on.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

I guess I am the odd man out. Scarlett at 80 pounds was eating 1 1/4 cups twice a day of Pro Plan 30 / 20. We went through 3 to 4 bags, looked great. Recently switched to Pro Plan Lamb small bites as it is lower fat & calories to help our fuzzball Lizzy. The Labs could slim down a bit too but no regrets with the 30 / 20.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

My first thought was something is wrong with the kibble. It happens. Try another bag and see how it goes. You can always take back the bag you have and exchange.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos