Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

backpack for lab

My black lab, Cori, and I are going on a hike for several days in September. I need to buy a backpack for Cori to wear, so she can carry at least her own food. Does anyone have any experience with the different types, brands, stores that sell them, etc.? Is a regular backpack style best, or saddle bags? Also, any advice about fitting it on her would be appreciated. Thanks.

Opie got his last year for Christmas. He does not like it and I haven't worked with him with it on. He's worn it a few times carrying cookie snacks, water and what nots.

How old is Cori?

A dog cannot carry much weight in their backback, so I don't know about her carrying more than that day's food (which may be what you mean, not having her carry a few days worth of food).

Dog Hiking FAQs | UberPest's Journal

Here is another thread on back-packs. i find local stores/independant stores tend to have a better variety of things and can often order thing sfor you if they don't have it in stock (vs bigger stores)
    https://www.lab-retriever.net/board/f...light=backpack

House Broken
    We just got a ruff wear back pack a couple of days ago for our Lab who is rehabbing for TPLO. He doesn't like it. He even tried to refuse a walk rather than wear it. Yesterday we took him and our Newf on a walk together with it on the Newf. The Newf eagerly stood to have it put on and wore it like it was her JOB! She even pranced a little in it. I didn't think dogs were jealous of each other or would even notice. This morning our Lab put it right on without pause. Watching her wear it did the trick.

It is very sturdy, well made and seems to evenly distribute the weight from shoulder down the back. It seemed kind of pricey but now that I know both of our dogs will wear it I think we get our money's worth!

House Broken
    How much did it cost and where did you buy it? Should I just buy a Newf then?? LOL

House Broken
    We got it at our local pet store (not a chain). It was $95 for the large size. The clerk at the first store (MudBay) we went to said REI had them and probably the best price - but for us REI is at the Mall and we didn't want to fight that traffic. I also saw them on Amazon but wanted to try it on. They have measurements for girth at chest and near hips. The straps are very adjustable and padded. The leash ring is heavy duty metal.

Ruffwear also makes some very good backpacks.

House Broken
    Thanks! Tanya, Cori is 7 years old. Thanks for the link. This is very good information. This will be our first multi-day hike. I need to get her a pack very soon, so I can get her started wearing it and getting used to it. I had actually heard that they shouldn't carry more than 10% of their body weight, which would be about 7 lbs. for Cori. It seems to be a matter of opinion though, so I will try her on day trips not too far from the car and see how much weight she is comfortable with.

Look at the Ruffwear website. They describe their different packs and how to size them for your dog. Al of my dogs have had backpacks and all of them have been fine with it. They even get excited because they know the pack means they're going out for a lot of fun. I have the Singletrak for my smaller dog. It's just for a couple of bottles of water. I have the Approach for my lab. Also for just a couple of bottles of water but he carries a liter in each side. The Palisades is larger. Be careful how much weight you put on the dog I like the Ruffwear pack but my ideal pack would be sized with smaller bags than the Approach has and larger than the Singletrak.

Someone else asked how old your dog is. If the dog is young, I would not put a pack on him. I wait until after a year old and sometimes longer depending upon the breed. The dog should be done growing.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

House Broken
    Thanks. Is Ruffwear sold in stores or is it on-line only? I am getting quite excited about this trip. I hope it will be a great time for Cori and I.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos