Skin issue please help

I've noticed two of these areas on my 2 year old lab mix's chest area. I'm panicking a bit that they are skin cancer or something serious. Has anyone seen these before or have any idea what they might be? I'm going to make her a vet appointment but I can't get her in until next week. Am I worrying about nothing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo-1-jpg  

Kind of hard to see but I appreciate the picture.

Are you certain it's not a tick?

it looks scabby? Can you describe it?

I hope its nothing serious.
    Charlie and Burton

Also, any idea what it could be from? When did you notice it? What have you been doing lately?
    Charlie and Burton

Definitely not a tick. She has one on the other side..they're both a little scabby and red. My initial thought is that it's her little nipples that are irritated. But she was spayed when she was about 3 months old. So...I don't know.

the other side

This is the other one....I just noticed them today. She's just been playing in the yard like always. And we treat her for fleas and ticks and heartworms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo-2-jpg  

I'm don't understand what her nipples have to do with being spayed?

ticks can still latch on even with treatment so it is possible.

Being that they are by her nipples, she couldn't be biting or scratching. Perhaps a bug bite? Interesting how they are both next to her nipples though. Maybe because more flesh is exposed in those areas. Might want to do a full body look over to be sure there aren't others.

Strange. I hope someone chimes in with better answers than I have given.
    Charlie and Burton

Definitely irritated.

Archie had a lump similar to the one in the first picture, kinda stuck out, wart-like. It was biopsied and came back a horn papilloma. It's totally benign. Have found several more, some the same, some flatter. The vet was confident it was nothing but did the biopsy for my piece of mind.

Sending good thoughts. Please keep us updated.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (07-31-2014)

Thanks for the input. As for her nipples...I suppose it's not that relevant. I had read that dogs who were spayed prior to 6 months generally have an extremely small chance of contracting breast cancers but in reality I guess what I was worried about was melanoma. I'm just ridiculously over protective and my mind was all over the place,lol.

I don't have advice but I did want to say this: we (myself included) can never be too cautious or overprotective. These dogs are part of the family and should be treated as such. Jax is our 2nd child as we have a son. I am every bit as cautious with Jax as I was with our son. This is our first dog as adults and our first Lab. I lived by the lab puppy book and now that we have passed that point if I.have doubts I call the Vet. She actually appreciates the love we show by being concerned

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    It does not look like melanoma to me. Looks like an irritated area she may have scratched to cause a scab or from playing with another dog. I would put Neosporin on the area (or bag balm if she will lick it off - won't hurt to ingest) and see how she is in a few days.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos