Backyard Bird Hunter

When Macy was a puppy, she nabbed a robin in our backyard in mid flight. I thought she just got lucky. Yesterday, we were walking off leash in a local park. She saw a turtle dove and went after it. The turtle dove flew into a batting cage. Not good for the bird. Macy snagged it as it was trying to escape the batting cage. It happened so quickly I didn't even think to call her back. Not sure she would have listened anyway. Today, a baby robin was on our deck. I think you know how this ends. Macy is all proud of herself.
    She is just doin' what a lab likes to do. However, I am grossed out. She didn't eat the birds. She really just retrieved. Thank you for the pretty presents, Macy. Mommy doesn't need any more dead birds.

I'm not sure that this is really natural -- Labs typically are not predatory. For example, a birdy Lab would generally retrieve a live bird when asked to do so, and return it, still alive, to the owner. Not all Labs have super soft mouths, but generally they would not kill the bird during the retrieve. My Lab is very birdy, but has no interest in chasing or killing chickens, ducks, birds in general, kittens, etc.

Is this something you want to work on?

I would be nervous about my dog chasing after a small animal and getting hit by a car, taking off into the woods, or even going after the wrong animal like a porcupine or skunk or even an aggressive raccoon or a snake. I'd also be nervous about the predatory behavior escalating to small dogs and cats or kids on bikes or skateboards. Or becoming obsessive.

Sam chases birds in the yard but never gets close. He really chases squirrels, but again never get close. I don't now what he would do if he did catch one but I don't think it's likely to happen.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

If I had seen the baby robin on the deck I wouldn't have let her out. She chases squirrels in our backyard all day long. I was shocked at the turtle dove- not that she chased it but that she caught it. I actually think the bird knocked into the sides of the batting cage and that helped Macy catch it. She didn't shred either bird. She just picked them up and was proud.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos