Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you feed your dog this?

Friend gave me a bag of dog food for Tegan. It's a brand we've never tried before. Here are the ingredients. Would you feed your dog this? Tegan doesn't have any known issues with the ingredients.

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Pearled Barley, Rice Bran, Canola Oil stabilized with mixed Tocopherols (a natural source of Vitamin E) and Citric Acid, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Lamb Flavor, Salt, Fish Oil stabilized with mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Dried Kelp, Chicory Root Extract, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Yeast Extract, Dried Spinach, Dried Parsley, Dried Tomato, Dried Cranberry, Glucosamine Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Chondroitin Sulfate, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbyl Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Inositol, Niacin, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

I would check on the www.dogfoodadvisor.com site and see how it is ranked before I would decide. If it is just a small bag and your dog has a solid stomach and no allergies, I don't see why you couldn't mix it into your other dog food to get done with it. Obviously if it ranked as a bad dog food, I would just throw it away ... I am assuming it was free.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fidgetyknees For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (08-03-2014)

Yeah it was free. I've just always been hesitant about corn. She's never had that in a food before. This one isn't listed on dogfoodadvisor.

Senior Dog
    What food is this? There are better lamb based dog foods available to you.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    You could donate it to your local animal shelter if you don't want to feed it to Tegan - that's what I would do; although no one has ever given me a bag of dog food before, probably because they know I am particular about what I give Polly.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

I'll probably just end up donating it at my work. Thanks for the inputs!

Real Retriever
    If it was free and you're short on dog food, feed it.

But I wouldn't buy it with your own dollar.

Not so much because of the corn; rather the 3 fragmented rice ingredients, along with the barley - if you add all of these together, you're feeding (and paying) for a grain based food with a very tiny amount of meat.

One thing I seen a HUGE difference of in overall energy stabilization was in making sure my dogs were getting more meat versus carb's; and I thought they were healthy before. The difference is short of amazing - don't short a dog on good animal (not plant based) protein.

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    Corn gluten meal - that's a no for me.

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity
    I've been avoiding this ^ ingredient in food I use.

The Dog Food Project - Menadione (Vitamin K3)

Also not keen on the three rice and one barley. Having the name of the food would be of more help as ingredients used in the name must meet quantity regulations as per AAFCO.

I agree with them, donate it.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos