Real Retriever

Back again also!

Howdy!

Sorry the board crashed, there was a lot of great information that appears lost. Hopefully we can rebuild it!!!

I've had the pleasure of knowing three black gals in my life... so far. The first two were the epitome of perfection. Absolute angels to have as puppies; smart, social, cuddly, just an absolute pleasure to take anywhere. They grew into fantastic companions and went everywhere with me. I had heard about these 'spawn of Satan' puppies. I thought these people just didn't know how to raise a lab puppy.

The inevitable happened and it became time to look for a new companion. As fate usually does, I met someone with a beautiful American black lab. What a gorgeous 2 year old boy he was! Same conformation as both by gals and just as sweet as could be, smart too! "Where did you get him???"

I called the breeder and she just had a litter born with the same two parents (FATE again I though!!!). I was in luck! It was to be their last litter (only 3) and she had a couple black gals. She grilled me for at least an hour. 'What are you looking for in a dog?' 'Have you ever had a lab before?' Where do you live, do you have a yard?' And a bunch more, we had a great chat about labs! She gave me some phone numbers of people in my area who had previous puppies from earlier litters. I called them and everyone was praising their Labs.

Called her back a few days later and said I would love one! She told me she would pick one out for me and when I could come pick it up. I was curious and asked if I could pick one out? No. I was welcome to come down and visit if I wanted but she would make the choice. She likes to match the animal to the situation it will be going to and it would be several weeks before she knew what their personalities would be. Since everyone I talked to was extremely happy with their labs, I agreed.

The time came and I went to pick her up!!! She had the pup in the yard and offered to show me the Sire and Dame. Geesh, what great looking animals and exactly what I was looking for! The Dame (70#) was sweeter than you can imagine. The Sire (100#) was great and had that 'drive' look in his eyes, just what I wanted!!! We filled out paperwork, she gave me the AKC and CKA registrations and a list of their field and hunting awards.

As I recall. She picked Sunshine out for me because I had lab experience. This pup liked to go explore, was very curious about everything, active and had that strong retrieve and hunting 'drive' showing. She would not fit into a family environment, she would need time and attention. My single lifestyle and liking to be active would be a good fit.

I mention all this as it is how it all began. I was now the owner of Sunshine, a VERY active, spawn of Satan black lab.

From 4 weeks of aggressive biting, I still have scars! To the most horrible first year and a half I have ever gone through, It was a nightmare!!! If anyone but a lab person had gotten her I know she would have been a shelter dog and put down. Yes, she was that bad. I don't mean that she would not listen and was completely out of control, not at all!! But, you had to be LOUD and serious when giving her a command. Since her first days with me, when I put the fear of her losing me into her, she has been 100% on recall and staying close. From day 1 she had that STRONG fetch instinct and brought anything asked of her to me... unless we were not on our own. But, you HAD to give her that off leash activity for several hours every day. IF there was ANY other distraction around, she would not listen.

We went to puppy classes. I had to take her to the lake for one to two hours of run like a nut, swim, fetch activity before we went or there was no control in class. I explained to the instructor that she was a bit 'different' and would need me to give her special attention in class. I got the 'sure, yeah... *I'LL* teach you how to control her.' One of the first classes, we did the instructor distracts the pup and you call it to come to you. Several folks went before us and did great. 'Come here fluffy, come' and the pup would come running. Our turn came and I said let's try this two ways. The instructor distracted Sunshine with a treat. Sunshine was FOCUSED on that treat. Sat there still as a statue, eyes glued. I gave her a 'Sunshine, come on girl come', clapping my hands and sounding as sweet as can be. Nothing. I warned everyone that this was going to be a bit loud. I let out a very loud, stern "YO!" Sunshine turned and looked at me. I looked at her and said "COME!", slapping my hand on my side. She sat there and stared at me for 4 or 5 seconds, then came RUNNING to me. She got big hugs and lots of praise.

Wow, longer than I thought. Sunshine is now two and a half years old and an absolute pleasure to have. Outside, she is still an overactive nut, but listens fantastic - I do still have to yell though. Inside she is the prefect, docile, calm house dog. She is smart as a whip and has a very large vocaulary. She can execute up to three commands in a sentence and I have no doubt that she will get to four or even five soon. Every few days we take a 'Chill day' where we do not go swimming or out in the woods. She does great, but she does NEED to still have 4 or 5 hours of off leash activity every other day to remain this calm.

I believe I have taken what would have been a casualty or a ThrowTheBallTHrowTheBallTHrowTheBall lab and given her some control over her energy. It has taken a LOT of time, and there is still a LOT of time left. But what choice do we have? It isn't like you can take them back to the store and trade them in! "This puppy is defective." We took on responsibility for another life, roll and work with what you have.

I can sympathize with anyone who has a spawn of Satan puppy or a VERY energetic adult. That is the reason I joined this board back in.... Feb or March of 2012. Folks here helped me through those horrible months. I'll pass on two sayings that really helped.

"God made them really cute, so you do not kill them."

And one I loved 'I love my pup, I just do not like her very much right now.'

OH, and I do contact the breeder regularly. She loves to hear updates about her pups and has never had a pup turn out this 'energetic'. Go figure, I can't win Loto but I win this pup!!!

Hi and good to see you back!
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Woodrow_Woodchuck (08-04-2014)

welcome back!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

Welcome back.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

7. The Following User Says Thank You to katALlabs For This Useful Post:

Welcome back!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Welcome back! I've returned a few times myself. Life just got too hectic to keep up. Lol!
    "The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shell For This Useful Post:

Woodrow_Woodchuck (08-06-2014)

Welcome backkk

Hello and welcome back!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos