Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collar colours

Collar colours

Just wondering if you guys assume a dogs sex from the colour of their collar?

My male dog wears a red collar and my female a blue - but everyone always gets their genders mixed up.
    My female dog is pure white (a shepherd) so looks awesome in a blue collar, and I don't really think of it as a boys colour as it is personally the colour I wear the most - but everyone else seems to assume she's a he. And apparently the red collar is feminine?

Any one else had a problem like this?

Luna wears a purple collar (Sunny Days from Lupine) and everybody assumes she's a boy. She wears hot pink collars and still gets assumed to be a boy.

I usually check under the hood! ;-)
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Red is unisex for me However I would never put a pink collar on a boy. I like the purple colour, but nope.. too feminine, IMO.

On the other hand, girls can wear everything
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

And this is the collar my dad said "I am not going to walk him with THAT!"

Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Yes..I do agree that many people look at the color of the collar to determine the sex of the dog.

Most people will not put the"girlie" colors on a boy. If I saw a pink collar on a dog, I would definitely think "girl". I like red, blue and dark green colors for a boy.

Senior Dog
    My two tend to each wear what I think are more sex-appropriate colors. But Sunnie definitely has some blue collars and Dan has been known to wear a nifty purple/pink/blue (on black background) one.

But my two also don't necessarily have facial features that "sex" them. Lots of times I'll refer to them as mother and son and people will ask, "which one's the mother?". [Depending on the person, I'll sometimes deadpan, "the female". I'm horrible.]

When it comes to winter coats or cooling jacket trim, I stick with unisex colors or else keep the other ones on the "right" dog. Dan doesn't like the thought of wearing a lot of pink (of course, neither does Sunnie, I don't think).

What I don't understand is why some people think of ALL dogs as Male and ALL cats as Female. Including a friend of mine who has both....and her female dogs are referred to as males and her male cat as a female.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

petitesalmon (08-07-2014)

Huh, I never really thought about it. Thor has a Dublin Dog collar in the pattern of a brookie trout. Thing is, I got this collar before we even knew/decided if we wanted a male or female. I do a lot of work in the outdoor industry and get a lot of media samples and pro deals, and somehow ended up with this collar before we even had our pup. But I always looked forward to using it regardless of whether we ended up with a boy or a girl. For the record, I love it (non stink) and he gets tons of compliments on it!

Bacon wears a blaze orange collar, and he gets called a girl all the time. I wonder how they can call him a girl, seeing as he is still intact and has quite the pair hanging between his legs.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Daisy wears pink, purple, orange, green. She always gets called a boy. Lily is usually either in orange or pink. Even when she's wearing pink she always gets called a boy.

To be fair though I call every dog I don't know "buddy"

Since mine are both black, I usually put bright solid colored collars on them, Lark in neon or raspberry pink, Chase in blaze orange. I think they look fabulous in them. Since their names and my cell phone number is embroidered on the collars, I also want people to be able to see them easily, should they get loose (heaven forbid!) Most people call both my dogs "boy", what a good boy, down boy, etc, regardless of collar color. Maybe it's because they're black, or maybe they don't notice the collars right away.

Like arentspowell, my go-to moniker for dogs I don't know is "Pup" What's your pup's name?

Barb- which one is the mother? The female Good one!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SunDance (08-04-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos