Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panting after walks

Montana's been panting more than usual after walks lately. he is due for an annual, so I'll be making that appointment but since his sinus tumor dx there has been nothing to even talk about. The occasional noisy breathing but that comes & goes. He's been happy as ever & comfortable too. I have though decreased our walks since last year's discovery, from 4-5 miles down to 1-2 miles. This past weekend however I decided to stop at 1 mile & head back to the truck. We ended up with 1.5 miles but only because the truck was 1/2 mile away. We went slow & stopped twice. This because I just felt he was tired. By the time we reached the truck his tail was just down, still smiling but tail down -just hanging. We got home & he was panting much longer than usual. I noticed the last few weeks his panting taking longer to calm down after walks but Saturday it was much longer. We went out for a bit & I rushed home to check on him-he was fine but he wouldn't go jump up on the bed to get into his fave spot. Still smiling.
    Sunday-1 mile walk & he was tired. Came home & he would NOT go lay in his fave spot nor would he even really lay down at all anywhere-he kept coming to me smiling, wagging his tail, kissing me the same as usual but instead of laying down anywhere he stood a lot. I was gently massaging his back all the way from neck to tail to see if there was any sore spots, his hips too, he didn't react to my touch at all. His back legs did seem to be lazy when we were walking. I cant explain that but lazy is the word that comes to mind. Maybe I was over thinking...Eventually he got into the recliner but the panting continued. I gave him dog aspirin, and he continued panting until about 10 pm ( on & off from about 4 pm to 10 pm)he finally got onto the bed & went to sleep. Could this be his heart? It's not heavy panting like when they run. His tongues not big like when he's hot but I did put the AC on just for him.
    Any thoughts?

Has there been an increase in humidly or its been warmer then usual? Since those two would effect how long it would take for them to cool down to normal body temp

It could be so many things. Heart, yes, congestive heart failure starting. Heat and humidity will do them in as well. Unless you see other symptoms along with it will be hard to tell if it's anything at all without a Vet work up. Maybe the dragging foot is evidence of some slight lameness/pain that is stressing him too.

Maybe that's just the heat but worth checking with your vet.
    I bought for my dogs cooling coats and they're just brilliant - if you think that's heat you might consider buying one ( Easidri High Performance Cooling Coat for Dogs Large: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies )

Archie has been panting more than normal but it's been hot and humid out.

Since the annual needs to be done, I would suggest sooner rather than later just to make sure nothing is going on.

Yes the humidity has gone up a bit. I Guess I just hadn't noticed because it was only in the 70s. I thought I saw him hesitate to go down the stairs too and it seemed like his right front leg......today though he was great. We did only a mile and his tail went only about halfway down. When we came home he got right up on the bed in his spot to relax. I had been looking into pet stairs to get for the bed too. Those jackets look awesome.....going to look into that too. Just hoping its nothing to do with the sinus tumor. I've been so blessed to have him comfortable this long.

I'd pay the vet a visit just for some peace of mind.

You can also rinse him when you get home, to help him cool down a bit.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Calling the vet. He was panting again this morning. And of course no one else feels like it's anything out of the ordinary but I know him & this isn't right. He got up in his fave spot but he was panting & we hadn't gone anywhere we had only played just a little bit. Dakota was not panting at all & she was playing too. Still smiling of course-and his pupils look the same, not crazy like when something hurts. Outside of the panting-he's good but I'm taking him in. He could use some mojo please...

Mojo, you got it. Hope you find a fixable reason for this.

Sending mojo, hope it's nothing serious.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos