Planning a vacay in Europe

DH and I are planning a vacation next summer and we're strongly considering a river cruise throughout Europe. I've toured in Iceland, Sweden and Denmark when I was professional dancer, loved it, would return, but also want to explore new places. I've also been to the Bahamas, USVI, Hawaii, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, BVI, Canada etc. We'd also go elsewhere if it's totally amazing! DH has been to New Zealand. We are NOT beach people and don't want to go to the beach!

We considered the Galapagos. We want to go to Africa and Antarctica, but those are out of the budget for right now.

We're in our mid twenties, super active (well, can easily walk 5+ miles in a day and climbing stairs isn't an issue). I know river cruises are mostly full of older/retirement age people, and that doesn't really bother us because we love old people. DH loves beer, I don't drink.

We're looking at Viking, Uniworld, AMA and Tauck for river cruising. If anybody has any recommendations, please send them our way! I'd rather use a tour company than book everything on my own just for the ease of it. We're thinking 1-2 weeks.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

That's nice, I couldn't afford those places. I hear that Europe is dog friendly too.

All of those places sound great. DB and SIL are going on a European cruise the middle of this month. It includes Ireland, Scotland and England. Since they've been in the past, they are not going to take the usual tours but are going off on their own.

If by any chance you end up in Belgrade, Cookie and I will be happy to show you around
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

House Broken
    Ireland is our favorite. I've been 4 times. Last time my wife and I spent 2 weeks backpacking around some really lesser known parts, including small towns in Northern Ireland and a few islands off the coast, staying in hostels and small B&Bs. We rode all public transportation (mostly buses) and walked and hitched a few rides when we couldn't find a bus. I've never met more interesting people or seen more beautiful countryside. I think it's time to go back again.

We want to do a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon.

I've been to Europe twice before. Landed in Zurich, then went to Lucerne, Nice, Paris, Brussells, and Strausberg before spending two weeks in Salamanca, Spain. Stayed in Madrid for a few days at the very end with my great-aunt before returning home.

But my most favorite trip by far was exploring the Amalfi coast of Italy. It's truly the most beautiful place in the world. Started in Rome and drove all the way down to Sorrento and then took a ferry over to Capri. What a memorable trip, I will never forget it.

One of my closest friends just came back from a trip to Bulgaria. I believe she was in Ruse. Looks stunning in the photos.

Good luck planning your trip.

If you're not married to cruising I'd highly recommend Turkey. It's the one place of all the locations I've traveled that I'd go to again. In fact, a girlfriend who has never been wants to go and we are trying to plan something for next year. I have friends from the states who feel the same way -- going often though they could go anywhere.

People are amazing -- never met such warm people in my life. Sights are out of this world -- literally...look up Cappadocia. Food is absolutely wonderful. And it's cheap!

My my second favorite destination was Ireland, but mostly because it was my first international trip and I took my mom -- her first international trip, too. Good memories.

I used to work in the travel industry and of the cruise companies you listed, I'd highly recommend Tauck. They are a first class operation. Maybe consider one of their Rhine River cruises for beautiful scenery; plus your DH should be able to access so e good beer.
    Last edited by LuckyLuna; 08-06-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos