Puppy

Health Questions

Hi everyone! Nala was born on May 29th. She went to the vet on July 10th and the breeder gave me documentation that she has this done. Wellness Exam, Distemper, adenovirus 2, parvovirus, parainfluenza, coronavirus, and also had a fecal exam on July 17 where the results are NEO no eggs observed- no parasites. My question is - how soon should we take her to the vet for her next shots?

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    It depends on what age her first vaccination was as to how many she needs.

I start at 8 weeks with DHPP or DAPP (I do not give Corona). then they get a vaccine at 12 and 16 weeks. Rabies at 20 weeks.

If your breeder did the first vaccine at 6 weeks then you will need 4 series. The last vaccine must be at 16 weeks or older to be safe.

Be sure to separate your vaccines by 4 weeks and never give rabies at the same time as the other vaccines. This also goes for lepto, lyme and any other vaccine you choose to give. separate them to avoid a reaction. Do not overload the system.

A year from the 16 week vaccine they get a booster of DP and then 4 weeks later they get a 3 year rabies.

3 years from the one year booster of DP I titer test to check immunity prior to giving any more vaccines. I titer every 3 years from there on out.

If you got your pup from a breeder, didn't they give you a schedule of when vaccines should be given? and what they already gave? They should have.

Re-reading your post it seems the breeder took the pups at 6 weeks for first vaccinations. Just be sure you separate by 4 weeks and the last one is at 16 weeks or older. You will need 4 vaccines if I am reading your post correctly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (08-04-2014)

Puppy
    Thank you Pattie! She had her first shots at 6 weeks. So, I should probably schedule her soon since this Friday is 10 weeks?

yes she will need one now at 10 weeks, another at 14 and then another at 18, then rabies at 22 wks. Discuss this with your vet. Please don't let them vaccinate too close together for the sake of your pup. some do every 3 weeks but I prefer every 4 to be safer.

My research says that pups older than 6 weeks do not need corona. Unless there is an issue in your area for this disease I would not give it in the rest of her vaccines. Be sure and ask the vet before they vaccinate your pup. Also be sure they are not giving any lepto or lyme at the same time. You need to ask these questions while in the exam room with the vet, prior to the vaccine.

Be your pups advocate and stand your ground.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (08-04-2014)

question - are ALL vaccinations to be spaced out by four weeks? I "heard" people spacing puppy shots (or just older puppy found as strays getting two shots) by three weeks, does it depend on the type or brand of drug or should it always four weeks?

It doesn't have to be 4 weeks, but generally, if you are doing only 3, you space out by 4 weeks to make sure that last one is right around 16 weeks. My vet does them at 3-week intervals if you're doing the 4 series, which she recommended to me for Jax, but I declined and just did 3 as recommended by his breeder. And I spaced them 4 weeks instead of 3. With our rescue puppies, we always do every 3 weeks though.

My biggest fear for young pups is parvovirus, as I can't tell what fox or person tracked it through the yard or to the grocery store. That being said, unless there is a known outbreak or possible exposure for which I must vaccinate early for parvo, I delay the first vaccine on non-rescued pups until 8 or 9 weeks if possible. I vaccinate with distemper and parvo in that vaccine. The next vaccine may be a 4 or 5 in one, no lepto yet. I believe Cornell that corona vaccine is not needed for pups over 6 weeks (my short version of their statement). I space out vaccines at least 3 weeks, with the rabies vaccine separated by 4 weeks from other vaccines if at all possible. The vaccines I use and the brand that my vet prefers both state that they can override maternal antibodies by 12 weeks in once case, and 14 weeks in the other case. I will double check that, as Progard was bought and so was the other company, so the package inserts may have changed. Since using high titer, low passage vaccines, we have not had parvo, which we got in vaccinated yearling Cavaliers going to handling classes where their mouths were handled by "judges." Those dogs had been vaccinated through 5 months of age with the regular titer Vanguard, which I don't think they even make any more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (08-09-2014)

some vets do 3 weeks some 4 weeks. I prefer 4 weeks so as not to overload the system of a pup.

I do on 3 wk intervals here, as long as the puppies are "obnoxious" at that point. If they are in a mellow/growth phase, I wait a few more days. I've spoken to Merck and Pfyzer and both have said 3-4 wk intervals, only to 100% healthy puppies.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos