My baby all grown up!

I noticed Emma starting to swell Sunday night and yesterday, which I though she could be in season super soon. Well this morning I found a few drops of blood on her bed and when I went to go check her with a tissue, it confirmed she had begun to bleed. Now to get her to keep her boxer shorts on.

Let house arrest begin! Trying to keep am active high energy puppy inside is going to be tough! Without our daily off leash play.

Question: Could we do a doggy sleepover with a younger female pup (6 month still intact)? Or will the other dog want nothing to do with her since she's in heat. Since we're watching her tomorrow night for her owner. My intuition says Yes, but want to make sure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

ZouZou (08-08-2014)

A female house guest is fine. When Grace was still intact, she still wanted to play!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (08-05-2014)

I think she could be around any dog except for an intact male or a boy who had only recently been neutered. If they liked to play with each other before, I think they'd still like to now. Chase (neutered) and Lark still played like nothing was going on. Lark was always as happy as a little lark before, during, after.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Don't you run the risk of the male tieing with her since they still might have some urges?

Well, if Chase seemed to be getting ideas, Lark pretty much told him off, or I would. We didn't have any incidents of that sort for the 4 weeks Larky was in heat. I suppose it's possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (08-05-2014)

Well, if Chase seemed to be getting ideas, Lark pretty much told him off, or I would. We didn't have any incidents of that sort for the 4 weeks Larky was in heat. I suppose it's possible. Plus, she was wearing her little fancy pants inside the house and it wouldn't have been easy. They were not left outside alone together.

I was warned that Bandit might try even though he was neutered so we kept a close watch on Mardi. There was a time when she was a complete hussy.

Good luck. Found it was much easier than I expected.

Doggy sleep over is going great!! They really tired each other out playing with one another.

Also, Emma doing a good job keeping her self clean. We have had minimal spotting and it usually after she wakes up from a nap there are some drops under her. She's been acting strange though one minute she want to be cuddling the next she leaves and goes lies down against a wall across the room. I imagine it just a girl thing, GF says if its anything like her TOM it's understandable.

So far I don't know why people make such a big deal about this.

Just from my own experience what happened with us....Fletcher was neutered and Sasha went on heat. The first 2 weeks she did not want anything to do with him. He just wanted to sniff and occasionally tried his luck but she would not allow it... UNTILL my friends week 3 kicked in. Neutered or not we had to keep him away from her as suddenly SHE wanted HIS attention and he was more than willing to give it (not really understanding as he is without tools you know hehe).
    She has been spayed since so now we can all relax and just have fun

No advice, as I have only had males or spayed rescue dogs. I can say this. Bacon is intact, and there was a female at the dog park that I was pretty sure was just about to go into heat, or was in her first few days (This is NOT allowed at the park, but people are stupid). Bacon and every other (neutered or not) wanted to be with her. It was a pain and we ended up leaving. Good luck!!!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos