Puppy

Puppy Doesn't Like to Go for a Walk

Hello all,

i have had my 11 week old puppy for a week now. She is getting the hang of lots of the basics, sit, potty outside, loose lease walking (when she feels like walking).

I am am able to walk her in the morning with no issues but most walks after that end up in her plopping her butt on the ground and not wanting to go anywhere. I can pick her up and walk her away from my house and she will walk back to it no problem. When she does not want to walk she won't!!!! I was wondering of anyone else has this issue and has any pointers. I want her to be able to enjoy her walks and I'm worried that if I just give in she will never like them.

Thanks!!

how long are you walking? at this age it should be no more than 10 minutes.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Luna was the same way as a puppy. She didn't like the heat. I wouldn't force it.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My boy is the same only he doesn't like walking without our older girl Mia. He will lay down in the street waiting for her. She takes longer walks so the DH and I split up and walk them separately and Maverick just doesn't care for walking without her. I don't have any advice for how to stop it though....I'm still working on that one.

It will be no time before she is dragging you down the street, so don't get too concerned just yet. She might be more interested in watching the world go by and all the activity going on around her. Her attention span is very short at her age, so the simplest things may catch her attention and distract her from moving forward, such as blowing leaves, cars going by, people doing things in their yards, bugs flying around, etc.

She is very young, so relax and let her guide you as to how fast or far she wants to go....before you know it, you'll be back on the list asking how to slow her down, LOL, LOL.

At 11 weeks, all you can hope for is what you are doing now....picking the puppy up, walking to the corner and walking HOME.

Typical of puppies. If you want to train to walk on loose leash, get to obedience school (Puppy STAR is great) and practice at home in the house, yard, driveway, street in front of your house.

Free movement in your own yard and v short sessions of foundation obedience work is a lot more productive at that age. For one, most pups really don't "get" the leash that early. Two, they may easily be intimidated by other neighborhood dogs. Three, they are growing and oftentimes really sleepy (not to mention the fact they aren't fully vaccinated yet)! IMO, nothing productive comes of taking most puppies for walks at that age. Mine are barely starting to go out to get the mail/paper at that age and that's ~600 yds total.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos