Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heartworm meds

heartworm meds

So its time again to go see the vet for more heartworm meds. Since I just moved and I am looking for a new vet in my area, does it matter if I choose a different heartworm med? chili has always been on iverhart max.

so just checking to see if it matters on keeping heartworm same, or even opinions if the above isnt best option....
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

No you don't have to stay on the same one in fact my vet switches around with her 6 Aussies so that way she is using different drugs. I think so no resistance occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

Oh, Wow. Chili is a pretty dog. I've always used Iverhart. It's less expensive than other brands. Is there any difference chemically between it and other brands?
    Hidden Content
    Dog dad to four sweet boys:

Bailey (2003-2018)
    Winston (2009-2018)
    Walter (born 1/1/18)
    Arthur (born 8/12/18)

I believe that Iverheart contains Praziquantel, which is an extra dewormer that isn't for Heartworms compared to Heartgard Plus.

I started out giving Sam HeartGard Plus. My vet randomly stopped carrying it and started carrying Sentinel. I was reluctant to switch because of the extra ingredient to prevent fleas, but Sam had no issues. I did like administering the Heartgard better than the Sentinel. Sam would take Heartgard like a treat. The Sentinel is more like a pill. Even though it's chewable, I have to put it in a pill pocket to get Sam to take it.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

I don't think it matters as long as there is no break. I have switched all of our dogs twice now and no one has ever had a bad reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
    I don't think it matters as long as there is no break. I have switched all of our dogs twice now and no one has ever had a bad reaction.
    I never thought of switching up the meds. Can that help with the failure rate that is being talked about recently?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Do any of you have trouble getting your vet to write a prescription to order the meds online? I've not personally, but my parents' vet refused to do that for their dog. It's much more expensive to buy it straight from the vet. I know they have to make money, but it seems like a vet should be willing to do that if asked.

I've never had a problem - my vet would write me a script. I think your parents' vet is out to make money for himself. On the other hand (after I wrote this) maybe your parents' vet insists they buy the preventative there for the guarantee????? I know some online places have a guarantee, but not all.

Nancy

If my vet wouldn't write me a script or wouldn't match the price I can get it online, I'd be changing vets.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos