Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which fish oil do I buy?

The vet has told us to put Cedar on fish oil and vitamin E (to help heal the dew claw nail which is all rough and she thinks had some trauma to it)

We bought the vitamin E, but figured we would finish up my husband's burpless fish oil at home .... but then I started getting paranoid about the extra ingredients in it that I don't understand what they are.

Any suggestions on fish oil?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what other ingredients are in the human capsules, but I would try to stick with something that is just fish oil. I'd also make sure the ingredient list identifies the type of fish oil, if it just says generic "fish oil," I'd steer clear. I use Grizzly Salmon Oil for my dogs, but I have used a combo Omega 3-6-9 capsule in the past that had, if I remember correctly, oil from sardines in it. It may have had other fish oils too, but I do know that it listed them all specifically.

Regarding the Vitamin E, check to make sure you're using natural Vitamin E and not synthetic. It should say "d-alpha-tocopherol" and not "dl-alpha-tocopherol." L is for loser, good way to remember it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

fidgetyknees (08-06-2014), ronmcq (02-09-2015)

What brand is it? What are the extra ingredients? I've seen lots of recommendations here for Grizzly Salmon oil. I use Jamieson 3-6-9 capsules. Strangely, the two times I ran out and just used the OH's pure Salmon oil it didn't work nearly as well for Oban's dry coat and I saw a difference in one week. The 3-6-9 is from fish, flax and borage.

How much Vit E did your Vet say? My Vet and I could find no research giving credit to the notion you must use it if you use fish oil. I did find accounts of folks giving their dogs very large doses and there is lots of research to show Vit E is a blood thinner and can be dangerous in large doses. If your Vet found credible information on it can you give a link?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

fidgetyknees (08-06-2014)

I've always used grizzly salmon oil with good results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kerplunk105 For This Useful Post:

Thanks. I didn't ask for literature on vitamin E, sorry. Was told to use 400IU of E and 1000 mg of fish oil. Maybe I will do half the vitamin E if it is breakable.

Chewy has it and I need to put in an order for some more Acana anyway, so I will get it at the same time. Now her very shiny black coat will become even shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by fidgetyknees View Post
    Thanks. I didn't ask for literature on vitamin E, sorry. Was told to use 400IU of E and 1000 mg of fish oil. Maybe I will do half the vitamin E if it is breakable.
    A day? Or per week? My Vet thought 400 IU a week wouldn't hurt so I gave 200 IU on two separate days and then I just quit giving it altogether. I'd really like to know. There is a little bit of Vit. E in the stuff I give but moot point for me right now as I've taken Oban off of everything and his coat shows it. You are using it for a different reason too, so maybe that's a factor.

I use Grizzly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

I also use Grizzly Salmon oil. For a while I used coconut oil, but I like the ease of use with Grizzly with the pump applicator.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BogeyBaby For This Useful Post:

After reading a couple of articles discussing the utilization of fish oil capsules compared to eating fish, it seems that the oil benefits in the whole fish are much more available than capsules alone.

Since then, I no longer use fish oil capsules and feed real fish instead, such as canned sardines, herring and wild pacific salmon. My dog enjoys eating the real thing and there are many more benefits of feeding the real fish other than just the Omegas, such as protein, Vitamin D, selenium, etc.

To protect the fragile Omegas, I feed 100 IU Vitamin E daily.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DuryLane For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos