Study on neutering effects on Labs and Goldens

Here's an interesting article on a study done on the effects of neutering (and at what age) on Labs and goldens. I'd have to have to decide between joint problems and cancer.

Neutering effects more severe for golden retrievers than Labs

paula

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adirondack Labs For This Useful Post:

Berna (08-07-2014), kelsyg (08-08-2014)

would be interesting to see the raw data. they site the data for dogs neutered UNDER 6 months then go on to say a comment about it being bad for neuter before a year of age (but no info on stats for increase in injury if a dog is neutered/spayed between 6-12 months).

i would personally like more info overall. LIke, does it matter if the lab comes from lines that have been health tested? Does it matter HOW the dog is being exercised? (forced exercise, weekend warriors, vigoruos fetching leading to trips, lots of crazy jumping before joints are formed).

I don't know, seems like it could be more complicated than the article leads on.

Regarding the cancer, they only said it was higher (rates of cancer) for female golden not spayed before 6 motnhs. no real different in males and minor variation for female labs.

Actually this is nothing new. Many studies were conducted with similar results. The only new thing here is that Goldens as a breed are more susceptible to the negative effects of spaying/neutering than Labradors. The effects of (early) neutering/spaying on joint diseases and cancer has been proven many times.

The whole article, here:

PLOS ONE: Long-Term Health Effects of Neutering Dogs: Comparison of Labrador Retrievers with Golden Retrievers
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

It's good information, but I have a hard time believing that spay/neuter is the only thing, or even the primary thing, affecting cancer rates in Goldens. Cancer is so prevalent in that breed, I think there's a lot more going on there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

Tanya (08-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 3ChocMom View Post
    It's good information, but I have a hard time believing that spay/neuter is the only thing, or even the primary thing, affecting cancer rates in Goldens. Cancer is so prevalent in that breed, I think there's a lot more going on there.
    they have shown possible correlation not causation. I agree with you, this is not a closed study eliminting other factors so who knows.

Not saying I agree with dog being fixed at 8 weeks, and would personally wait until a dog is done growing (as much as possible) but I am still wary of the studies on there as they don't control for other factors.

Are those neutering their golden younger getting them from breeders who are not as careful? We know some great breeders recommend or require their buyers to wait until their puppies mature.

not saying this isn't interesting, it is! but it doesn't really offer anythign concrete.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos