Puppy

jealousy? and growling snapping barks

I have a chocolate lab she is about 5 years old, and she is very jealous towards other dogs, I had went for a walk with my cousin the other night, I do have to admit I have not kept up on walking my dogs through out their life so they can get out of control when other dogs are near.

we had finished our walk and I went to pet my cousins dog goodbye and my chocolate lab grabbed a hold of my cousins dog haulty and was growling and had snappy barking. thank goodness there was no contact with fur or skin. I pulled my dog away and told her NO that's BAD and took her straight to my truck and went back over to my cousin and said sorry and all that and said good bye to her dog.

im just looking for any tips on how I can help my dog come over her attacking issues. also I should add when I walk her and she see's another dog she barks funny and sometimes bits at her leash.

This similar incident happened again tonight my friend was walking her dog by my house and I was outside with my dogs and her boy friend had knelled down to pet my chocolate lab and their golden retriever puppy was right there beside them and my lab took another freak out. didn't harm anyone or any other dog, but this barking snap biting in the air.

I am not sure why she is like this. im thinking it could be a number of things. not properly shown how to act around other dogs, not enough socialization, anxiety? jealousy? im just looking for some helpful tips on things I can work with her on. and how to discipline her if her snap attack happens again. I have 3 dogs altogether, and she has never attacked like that, but has twice over treats but she doesn't act like that with her other two sisters.

Welcome from another Ontariariarion.

I hate that in dogs. I think your last paragraph where you ask if it might be "not properly shown how to act around other dogs, not enough socialization, anxiety? jealousy?" hits good and possibly not exclusive reasons. My sister's last dog was like that. He'd be fine, even play happily with the other dog, till she went to pet it. Then he might attack it. He got used to my own dog and they became great friends and he did as well with Sis's good dog walking friends' dogs and I believe the often repeated contact with these dogs was most responsible. Sis would tell him what behaviour she expected of him too but she never trusted him with a strange dog.

If all you have to do is not pet a strange dog, as was my sister's case, then it's fairly easy, don't pet them. I'm sure some others will be along to give you more tips. I suspect, from the leash biting without you petting, that you might need more. I do suggest a training class in obedience so your dog learns in a controlled situation how to behave on leash with other dogs around. That training isn't exactly your situation but it will/shoud help her learn to look to you for direction instead of making her own decisions.

LOL, when I would visit Laddie with my own dog, even though they became best friends, he would try to push between me and her and block her from pets from me. He'd block me from my own dog. My sister's current dog will block my current dog from Sis's cat. It's kind of funny, like she is saying "That's MY cat and if any dog is going to harass this cat it will be ME." And the only dog Sis's will hump is mine and only when he was getting too much attention from their Grandma. Oh yeah, dogs can be jealous.

Puppy
    yes nother Ontarian lol!!!!!!
    thanks for your input I know its something I have to work on. and yes I have thought of obedience classes, but out classes are not the greatest which I have heard from other people but I know it wouldn't hurt to try. i know what i need and what to do ( keep repeating this situation over and over again to reassure my lab that there is nothing wrong with me petting another dog. so she understands its alright.) but the only problem with that is that because of her snapping, biting, barking, people get scared and don't want their dog involved in a situation like that. which is totally understandable i wouldn't want to have my dog in one of those situations when not knowing what the outcome may be.

thanks again for your input very much appricated!!!!!

Maybe one of the members can help you find a class?

Honestly I would have a trainer behaviourist (qualified, educated, experienced) come and assess and do a few sessions. Doesn't have to be the more expensive comprehensive package but I think this is an issue where you would benefit from having someone evaluate in person and show you what to do. It's a big beyond regular basic training which is easier to learn online.

Group classes are always good and I do recommend them but I don't think they will address your specific issue.

Depending where you are there may be members here that can recommend a good class/trainner.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos