Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

3 month old humping older dog - what to do?

Him

My 3 month old lab has starting humping our older lab. He just lets it happen. I know it is normal behavior but it is one that a lot of dog owners really hate. Should I curb this behavior now? Training classes don't start until August 30th.
    Thanks!

I've only had one dog at a time but when mine started I bought him a big teddy bear and encouraged him on it. He's never humped anything else. I wonder if that would help? It's hard to just make them stop doing that kind of behaviour so directing him to something that's allowed might work but I'm guessing. I know it works when there is only one dog in the house but I'm guessing when there are two and the older allows it. Whether you redirect or not, I'd stop it. He'll try that with some other dog and get told off, maybe badly.

Scrap was the only dog we had that humped. He had a pillow who was his love bug. I corrected him when he tried with other dogs. Like Snowshoe said, it could end up badly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Moby and Barley's Mom (08-11-2014)

just say no-hump (or use another word but don't use just "no") and gently remove the puppy and re-direct. Ideally if the older dog would show the puppy themselves that this was not appropriate that would be ideal. If you have friends with nice dogs who are less tolerant and will show the puppy not to do that (put the puppy in their place) that is ideal.

I had a foster that was bad for this, we worked thru it. Ok so he never STOPPED completely but he greatly greatly improved. I wish I had picked another word because saying "NO HUMP" real loud at the park was…interesting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

You can do one of two things. Take a treat and lure him off while saying no hump or uh-uh, whichever you choose, or you can have him drag a leash (ONLY when supervised) and pull him off, saying no hump or uh-uh and when he is off and paying attention, reward him with a treat.

I would not allow it because it's rude. Plus, if he did that to a smaller dog or a small child, there could be injuries. Not to mention if he does that to the wrong dog, he could get hurt. It is a normal, but undesirable behavior. I personally would not have him do it with an inatimate object, but I suppose if he insisted on doing it somehow, it's better that than another dog.

Linus tried it a couple times as a pup and I was all over it. Recently, he's tried it a couple more times and he' gotten in big trouble. He's 100 lbs and I'm so glad I nipped it in the bud when he was a puppy!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Real Retriever
    My black gal was always on the receiving end of that. I taught her to SIT when it happened. I would stop it as it is very rude and not acceptable to the other dogs owner. The thing I disliked most is when the other owner said 'Oh, he is just playing'.

When she was a pup, she did think this was some sort of game and tried humping other pups a few times. At that horrible stage I would stay close to her and if she started, I would grab her collar, pull her off, get right in her face, finger pointing at her and say NO. Holding her until she stopped struggling. If she continued, I would threaten her with the "N" word (Naughty), which meant I would leash her up and she would have to SIT beside me in the park while all the other puppies played happily.

Sunshine has 'Bubba' her big stuffed bear at home whom she still, at almost 3, gives a few good ones to when we get home from swimming. I never heard Bubba complain so consider it a victimless crime. I consider that acceptable because if she is going to do it, I would rather have a controlled 'item' she does it to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Woodrow_Woodchuck For This Useful Post:

Bacon doesnt hump, except with certain dogs at the dog park. We simply say No! and redirect him.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    Mulder was (and still is at 15 on rare occasions) an inveterate humper. He knows we don't like it, but tries it anyway - no amount of correcting or redirecting was able to eliminate the behavior entirely. So, he was never allowed to interact with other dogs (other than my other ones) without supervision so that I could intervene and stop him. If I was right there to tell him "no" and/or give him an alternate behavior, then it was fine, but if he was on his own without me right on top of him it was a different story because he knew he could get away with it and whatever satisfaction it brought him was evidently bigger than the correction when I caught up to him. My own girls have never had a problem telling him off when he tries it, so it hasn't been an issue around the house.

Not to discourage you from trying to stop the behavior - by all means do everything you can, but just be aware that some stubborn dogs will never really learn, LOL.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos