Puppy

New member....need advice on a new puppy companion for my lab and kids.

Hi Everyone,
    Just after some advice from lab owners. I have read that I could get any dog and my lab Oscar who is 1 this month would get on with it. What breed of dog do you think would be best fro him and my 10 and 8 yr old kids? Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks Emma

What breed do YOU want?

That's way to broad of a question to get a good answer. What life style do you and your family live? What traits are you look for in a dog? Size of dog? etc...

With over 150 breeds of dogs, I think you'll need to narrow down what you are looking for.

What kind of dogs does he get on well with now? It's your own dog's social skills that are going to determine a lot of how a new one works out.

Also have to echo, which breed do YOU think You would like? You aren't going to plop a new puppy down and expect your own young dog and young kids to bring it up, it's going to be your new baby. You will have to do most of the puppy work.

Another Lab of course!

Kidding. Good advice above. Each dog and family is different. What is your lifestyle? Does your current dog play well with orher dogs?

Each time we brought another dog into our home it took about a month for them to settle in and sort things out.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Do you want another dog the size of your lab or a different size? Is your dog good around other dogs, has he been to obedience classes, do you have the time and resources to train and care for a second dog? I have 2 labs, they get along great, although our younger girl is bossy and clearly in charge of our older dog. My sister has 3 dogs of different breeds and different personalities, an Australian shepherd, a lab/golden mix, and a schnoodle, and they seem to get along fine. There are folks on here who have, for example, labs and French bulldogs, a lab and a German Shepherd, lots of other combos, it all depends upon what you're looking for.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Real Retriever
    Agee with ALL the above! Start with what you expect out of another dog, then take into consideration your current companion.

One question though... Why did 'lab owners' say you should get another dog for your 1 year old lab, Oscar? Is there some kind of obedience or training issue? Is Oscar "Out of control" and they think another dog will help control that? Does he just seem bored and lethargic? Giving him a 'buddy' to play with isn't going to make him keep busy and happy, it is going to give you TWO animals to train and control.

OP hasn't been back since they posted. Hopefully they only get a dog if they (teh adults) want a second dog and all the time/expense.

If you do come back OP - as asked above, what peopel told you to get another dog? In what context (i.e. WHY) where they saying this? This is dangerous advise. ONLY get a second dog if you want a second dog. If you don't want teh extra work (which is a very fair position! I stayed with one dog for many many years!) then don't get another dog. not for the kids, not to keep your lab company.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (08-15-2014)

I suggest you let your current dog interact with any dog you decide to get before bringing it home.
    Hidden Content
    Herding Hanson the Handsome~born 11/28/2018
    Hammer Head Shark~forever in my heart 1/13/2011-4/30/2018
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos