Puppy

Prednisone Dosage

I have a 75lb five year old lab who has autoimmune disease. She is better now, but we almost lost her. She is prescribed a few drugs, but the biggest I am worried about is 40mg (20mb tablets) of prednisone 2x daily, so 80mg total per day. It's tough to watch the panting, excessive drinking and peeing but I am dealing with it. It just seems like the dosage is high to me? I fully trust the vet, they really did save her at the last minute, just for my own curiosity is that high dosage? She is getting blood work done tomorrow so there is a possibility of lowering the dosage and weening her off of it slowly.

When I had a dog on chemo and they added prednisone in a high dosage, he reacted in a similar manner. I called the vet and we adjusted the pred until we found a dosage that didn't cause the panting and restlessness. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Is she just starting the Prednisone? Normally you load it at a high dose then taper down. I'm not familiar with using Pred. for autoimmune so is your girl expected to stay on it the rest of her life? I did have a dog on it for 7 years but that was to control pain and it must have been a much lower dose as it was only given every second day. My own boy was recently on 60 mg/day divided but we began to taper down in a week. Again, he was on for a different reason. I agree you need to discuss this with your Vet. Dogs will react differently so your girl might not be the norm. In our case it didn't help my boy's IBD at all, but it helps most. Your girl's dose might need some tweaking. Good luck

It sounds as though you and the vet are doing what you can.I looked it up for AIHA, and it appears that she is on close to a minimal dose for that autoimmune disease (1 mg/lb). Talk to the doctor who saved her tomorrow or after the bloodwork is done. Here is hoping for good news on the bloodwork!

Yes, 80mg of Pred per day is a very large dose. For comparison, my 60 pound dog sometimes has bad allergic reactions where her face swells and she gets hives everywhere. She gets 10mg of Pred to stop the reaction. However, some diseases need high loading doses, so I don't think your vet is necessarily wrong giving her that much. My Luke was 75 pounds and couldn't even handle 20mg per day without having accidents in the house, so her reaction to that much Pred is not surprising. But like someone else said, you should talk to your vet about playing with the dose to ease the side effects.

Senior Dog
    it depends what the pred is given for so it's impossible to say that dose is too high. i'd question the vet as pred is not a drug to futz around with. he went to vet school, we didnt.

The OP asked if it was a high dose, not if it was too high for her dog's condition. Nobody is opining on that.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos