Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forgot Sam's Food

It was so dumb of me. We left for the Outer Banks yesterday and I had Sam's big bag of food sitting out. It wouldn't fit in the car so I was supposed to transfer it into smaller bags. I got distracted and forgot. We got here (Avon, NC) and the only place around for about 60 miles is a Food Lion. I feed Sam Pro Plan so I bought a bag of Purina One. Now his poops are crazy sloppy. I don't know if it's the food, too much ocean water and/or sand or just strange drinking water. Do you think his system will settle down or do you think I should make the two hour round trip up the coast to the Petsmart to get his regular brand of food?
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

If it were me, I would make the trip. However, Bacon is extremely sensitive, and with his food allergies his needs are extremely specific. You know Sam best, how long does it usually take for him to be ok with a new food or treat?
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

We're further up in the OBX and Chase had some pretty sloppy poops for the first couple of days and he was eating his regular food. Lark had no issues. I switched them to bottled water for a few days and things settled down quickly. If Sam is usually on ProPlan and you got Purina One, I myself probably would not drive up to Petsmart (?Nags Head?) until I'd seen if things improved after a day or 2 and I'd try bottled water. My dogs do not usually have sensitive stomachs and food changes don't normally create havoc, so I felt comfortable giving it a few days. I didn't use any pumpkin, but some say that helps firm things up.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Yes. We would have to drive up to Nags Head. I've only ever fed Sam Pro Plan so I can't say how he reacts to different food but usually he's fine with any different people food we give him. I think that's a good suggestion to try bottled water. I know I don't like the water here and only drink bottled water so maybe that might help. I'll give that a try!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Try the bottled water; mix a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin into the meal; and if need be, a little over-cooked white rice. I bet you'll see a difference soon. Maybe cut back on the quantity slightly for a day. Hope it all resolves soon.

Get it overnighted from Amazon Prime? Probably not cheap, but better than interrupting your vacation.

I agree with adding overcooked or mushy white rice or boiled or instant potatoes. Chinese restaurants can be a take out source of cooked rice. Another white carb: instant mashed potaoes are at convenience stores. Just add hot or boiling water but no butter or milk to prepare it. You may also consider adding a pepto bismol caplet or two per meal.

I had white rice so I cooked some up this afternoon. I think I'll feed him a cup of kibble and maybe a half cup of rice for his dinner. If things aren't a little better in the morning, I'll run out for some pepto. I think a big problem is that he is taking in a bunch of ocean water when he's playing in the surf because as the day went on his sloppy poops turned into diarrhea.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

The combo of ocean water, different water and a quick food change could have done it. Step back to a bland diet and bottled water. He may still be loose because of the ocean water.

Sending good thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    The combo of ocean water, different water and a quick food change could have done it. Step back to a bland diet and bottled water. He may still be loose because of the ocean water.

Sending good thoughts.
    I agree. Maybe skip the kibble!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos