Puppy

Too much downtime for my pup??

Hi everyone,

I have a 4 month old whom I am able to stay home with, but since he's still a puppy, if I let him hang out of his exercise pen with me by the kitchen table or my desk or the couch, he typically starts chewing the furniture despite his chew toys.

Consequently, he hangs out in his exercise pen for a couple hours at a time, and either naps or chews an antler or other durable chew toy. I let him out at designated times, such as potty, walks or trips out of the house, structured backyard play, or meal time. He spends a lot of time relaxing in his exercise pen though, since I work at home and need to focus.

Just wondering, is it ok for him to hang out in his exercise pen and sleep and whatnot most of the day? He's still little, but I'm wondering if I should be taking him out for more walks (we take two 20-minute walks a day) or more "stimulation."

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

a couple of hours in the ex-pen then a break sand another couple of hours in the ex-pen sounds fine to me!

Sounds ok to me but that's 'cause it's pretty well what I did too. I also work from home. You seem to be smarter as it took me a while to realize I couldn't watch puppy and get much done at the same time. Our pup stayed in our gated kitchen so I could get things done. Our pup has worked out just fine, he's nearly 7 years now. Can stay by himself or will quietly lie by my feet.

Real Retriever
    Congratulations on such a calm pup!! I have always thought that you should raise a pup like they will be spending their life. Granted, puppies have more energy but if they will be having a lot of 'down time' with you around, that is the way they should be brought up. Give Henry a daily exercise period, a few short walks then let him 'chill' when he needs to.

If Henry is chewing on forbidden stuff with you right there, I'd say it is a call for more attention or exercise. Sounds like boredom. He is only 16 weeks old after all and should have boundless energy! Does he get any off leash, run like a nut, do what he will time? Is there an out of the way, safe, beach, lake or park you can take him to, set him free and let him go wild? Supervised wild that is! 16 weeks is a GREAT time to work on off leash recalls, and all off leash commands. Remember to make coming to you when called the bestest thing in the WHOLE world!!! He will let you know when he has had enough, work him till he drops. It might be 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour or in my case with Sunshine, 4 or 5 hours.

I remember being told, with my first black gal, that this kind of activity with a lab pup is very important. It sets the stage for bone, joint and muscle development. Leash walking is not really exercise, it is a structured activity. They NEED the freedom to RUN (with no particular destination in mind), tumble, run into trees, fall down, dig, swim (swimming is GREAT exercise!)..... Roughhousing with other pups is a MUST too! The more varied and different situations and environments you introduce your puppy to when young, the more adaptable/sociable they will be when older.

Besides, it is a lab puppy!!!! Who doesn't want to take it outside to play, meet other folks/dogs/cats and just enjoy having a puppy!!!

EDIT: The more time and training you spend with Henry now, the better. A puppy is a long term investment. Sacrifice part of your life to help him be a better companion and what you will receive in a few years, and for the rest of his short shared time with you, is well worth the investment now!
    Last edited by Woodrow_Woodchuck; 08-12-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Added:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos