Excited about the house again.

We have everything strange happen in our converted barn which my mother in law bought in 1966 as an investment. One of the strangest was that a toilet just fell over one day - while I was in a different room. The most recent was water coming up in the middle of the basement through the cement floor. I was just so unhappy at that point and have been having nightmares about the house sliding off the hill one day.

Anyway, I complain about the house all of the time here and wanted to say that the contractor has determined that everything is all right. It is ground water coming in but he says that that's typical especially since we don't have a gutter system. He stomped around a lot and said he didn't hear any hollow spots which he should if the dirt had thinned out given that the cement is so thin in that area. The drain from the porch is actually hooked up to the house drain and it's not leaking.

So he's putting in a gutter in front of the house, possibly putting in a sump pump, reinforcing the beams in the area and we have a new plumber coming out to address the toilet and the backed up sinks. I was also relieved that he told me that a lot of people have been having problems with the plumber we had been using. Hopefully this is the last structural issue and we can move on to putting in a new bathroom and exploring the commercial kitchen idea.

Yay! Hope your day went as well.

Hope the repairs will solve the problems. Hate it when there are house problems.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-12-2014)

Water came up through the basement floor when our sump pump quit working, so that may be the solution.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OHfemail For This Useful Post:

janedoe (08-13-2014)

The plumber came by this morning and checked out the basement at the general contractor's request. He recommended holding off on the beam work because we'll have to get into the plumbing there and replace the cast iron drains when we gut the bathroom. He was very positive about the supports we had put in and said there were no emergencies in that respect.

Then he checked out the floor and said that it was pretty level so no problems there.

I called my husband and told him that our floor was pretty level and he said, "What on earth is this guy used to looking at?!" So I guess we're starting to see problems that aren't there. That's all right. Experience has just made us paranoid.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos