Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do you answer the door?

Tonight I was looking out my front window and I noticed a girl with pamphlets, an id tag around her neck and a clipboard knocking on doors at the houses on my street. God knows who they are and what they want. It's usually been bad english speaking men trying to scam people into a hot water tank rental or long term hydro contracts.

Two of my elderly neighbours answered the door right away when this person knocked. I was watching. Not a chance am I answering the door when somebody with an id tag comes knocking on the door at night or in the evening let alone during the day.

Do you answer the door when people are just walking around the neighbourhood knocking on doors?
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

Ah, we don't have neighbors now but when we did no, I wouldn't. Now, I'm so far out that 911 is not an option. I make sure who's there and if I don't know them I will be armed & chambered but not brandishing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

Barry P (08-12-2014)

I always do! And I talk to the people. I love people. DH saved a newspaper clipping from years ago about salesman who went around knocking on doors and was found murdered in a swamp in our town and he tapes that to the front door.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Nope, but I make sure Mia is out there. She looks like a wolf and sounds mean. People usually don't make it to the door (for fear, she'd never hurt them) or out of their car.

I don't. I look from another window to see who they are. If I haven't scheduled them, they don't belong there and it's really hard to find our house which makes their presence suspicious. On the other hand, the dogs make themselves known so they don't hang around for long.

We did have a census worker wander around our backyard once. Our chickens went after her. I wondered how it was possible that she had survived that long. Can you imagine if she showed at an isolated house occupied by four dogs and someone armed who takes exception to strangers being on their property? Sure, it was us and we apologized for the chickens. But what was she doing wandering around our backyard?

I feel no compelling reason to answer the door at all if I'm not in the mood. I figure it saves them time and me time if I'm not going to buy or sign whatever the pitch is. My one exception is if I see it's a child from the neighborhood. Then I am likely to answer the door.

Sometimes it is entertaining.

So take when I was a in my 20s with a roommate, we worked opposite shifts, he worked first I worked second. The Jehovah witnesses showed up one day, I politely told them I was not interested and they asked if I knew anyone that was. Well as a matter of fact I do. My roommate is at work right now but if you stop by about 5, I am sure he would love to talk to you. Well, I get home from work that night, my roommate is surprisingly still up, and not amused. They showed up and said Jeff told us we should stop and talk with you. He was like sure come on in. I was highly amused by this. They visited him for weeks. He actually quit going home right after work for the longest time.

Last spring some guy comes to the door, I open it he hands me a new large container of those Clorox wipes. He said here this can be yours for taking a look at the new something or other. I was like well sure, he brightens up and all smiles, runs out to the street grabs a large box, some kind of vacuum cleaner, brings it all the way up to the porch. Yep I looked at it, then closed the door. Kept the wipes too.

Was driving home seen people in unmistakable blue AT&T shirts at neighbors house. Half hour or more my doorbell rang, I opened it and was like my supper just came off the grill its hot and juicy and ready to eat and I have a Labrador sitting there eyeballing, so what do you want, make it fast. They were speechless, so I continued, your here trying to sell me some crap? I get a nod. AT&T crap, your not trying pawn that Uverse crap on me are you. They look at each other. You know now that I think about it, I talked to them for 5 minutes, they never did get a single word out. My steak did really just come off the grill it was resting.

My favorite are political party people, I start blaming them for whats wrong the government.

One time a guy came while i was cleaning the gutters, I got him to hold the ladder, hand me the hose and stuff. I put him to work, I talked to him about things kept him engaged. Honestly, i really don't know what he was trying to sell but I am not complaining I got free labor.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bamps (08-13-2014), Mr Kleb (08-13-2014), sheltieluver (08-14-2014)

No, I never do. Charlie does though.

I often don't. Something like that I would not. When I do open the door for someone I don't know, it is with my hand holding the collar of a dog. Unfortunately, Sam is the biggest and he's not very intimidating but it still helps. My last dog was 97 pounds and tall. When I opened the door with him, the person at the door would typically back up several feet and just stare at him. If I wanted the person to stop trying to sell whatever, I'd just say I could not keep holding my dog back and they'd leave.
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

Rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Sometimes it is entertaining.

So take when I was a in my 20s with a roommate, we worked opposite shifts, he worked first I worked second. The Jehovah witnesses showed up one day, I politely told them I was not interested and they asked if I knew anyone that was. Well as a matter of fact I do. My roommate is at work right now but if you stop by about 5, I am sure he would love to talk to you. Well, I get home from work that night, my roommate is surprisingly still up, and not amused. They showed up and said Jeff told us we should stop and talk with you. He was like sure come on in. I was highly amused by this. They visited him for weeks. He actually quit going home right after work for the longest time.

Last spring some guy comes to the door, I open it he hands me a new large container of those Clorox wipes. He said here this can be yours for taking a look at the new something or other. I was like well sure, he brightens up and all smiles, runs out to the street grabs a large box, some kind of vacuum cleaner, brings it all the way up to the porch. Yep I looked at it, then closed the door. Kept the wipes too.

Was driving home seen people in unmistakable blue AT&T shirts at neighbors house. Half hour or more my doorbell rang, I opened it and was like my supper just came off the grill its hot and juicy and ready to eat and I have a Labrador sitting there eyeballing, so what do you want, make it fast. They were speechless, so I continued, your here trying to sell me some crap? I get a nod. AT&T crap, your not trying pawn that Uverse crap on me are you. They look at each other. You know now that I think about it, I talked to them for 5 minutes, they never did get a single word out. My steak did really just come off the grill it was resting.

My favorite are political party people, I start blaming them for whats wrong the government.

One time a guy came while i was cleaning the gutters, I got him to hold the ladder, hand me the hose and stuff. I put him to work, I talked to him about things kept him engaged. Honestly, i really don't know what he was trying to sell but I am not complaining I got free labor.
    LOL, I need to remember these.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos