Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Strange Good Deed

A few weeks ago while walking the dogs we passed by an elderly couple that were out walking. She was pushing him in a wheel chair and we were kind of worried because she was pretty old herself. I have to guess they are both in their mid 80's. If she ever fell I think she would have a hard time getting up. Anyway he seemed interested in the dogs but we didn't stop and talked about it after that maybe we should have.

Today we saw them again and he was pointing at us from down the block so we brought the dogs over to see them. She must have thanked us 10 times for bringing the dogs over to him because he loves dogs so much and he was asking how old they are and if they like kids and how much they hate to see animals mistreated and glad we were out walking them. They were really nice and happy we stopped.

The weird part was that Georgia is still pretty excitable when we first start out on the walk. He had her by the snout telling her to behave herself and sit. She's pretty sniffy and nosy. I was holding her down and making sure she was sitting but his hand over her snout was strange to me. We kind of laughed about it later because he didn't mean any harm and was trying to block her from jumping into his wheel chair I think.

The people you meet.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

It's always wonderful to know that the smallest gestures can mean so much to someone!

Old people are the best!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thats pretty cute
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

That was nice of you. Maybe the man found Georgia's snout to be sort of a convenient handle? I know other residents at Mum's LTC petted Oban in funny places too and I think because they had problems with dexterity and control in their hands.

So nice of you to let your dogs visit with them for a few minutes. Maybe the snout hold was something he used to do with his own dogs to keep them from jumping up. Whatever, I'm sure it made their day.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    So nice of you to let your dogs visit with them for a few minutes. Maybe the snout hold was something he used to do with his own dogs to keep them from jumping up. Whatever, I'm sure it made their day.
    This was my first thought, too.

I've met quite a few older people who just fawned over my dogs throughout the years. One woman actually brought her camera one day to take pics of S & D to show her daughter....who was looking for a dog....and let her know what nice dogs you can get if you rescue. Daughter subsequently got a small terrier-type mix from rescue (so cute...one ear up and one ear down) A lot of the people have referred to the fact that they no longer have dogs but love them.

I've always stopped to pet other people's dogs and will soon be of the age where someone will refer to me as an older person who appreciated petting their dog....if I'm not there already (63), at least to much younger folks. Since S & D are destined to be our last two, that phrase will be coming out of my mouth, too.

I firmly believe in letting anyone who wants to pet my dogs to do so....they thrive on the love of strangers of all ages. (well...OK....Danny is unsure of toddlers and is therefore forbidden in that instance) It always seems to be a perfectly mutual love-fest.

Senior Dog
    I've lost count of the number of people who have approached Kimber with a sad smile, saying, "I had a lab once. They're the best dogs." I relied a LOT on those people to help me train Kimber to behave in public.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Great story, it reminded me of a time I was at a gas station, Hemi was in the truck with me. I was pumping gas an Hemi had his head out the window just looking at everyone and smiling. A very elderly gentleman asked me sir do you mind if I pet your dog, I used to have labs and miss them a lot. I could tell he was just dying to get some loving. I told him, he is in his seat belt, so you go right ahead and open that door and get some hugs and kisses. If he gets too much you can just back away. Hemi obliged him with so many kisses and loving. That guy was just beaming with a smile when he left and a little bit soggy.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    I love sharing Moby with people on my walks with him. I can immediately tell a dog person and he is so happy to be pet by everyone that he will often start walking toward people when he sees them. The people he now knows on his walks - he gets super excited and starts to make excited greeting noises (not really whining - not sure what to call the noises he makes) so they will come and pet him. Such a nice way to get to know your neighbors as well. Then - there are those who would prefer to not pet the dog - so we stay away and just say hi. -barley-colorado-028-jpg

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos