Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Teaching to not retrieve?

Is this even possible? If so, is it a good idea?

There are only a couple situations where it's come up that I'd prefer my lab not retrieve something:
    1. Do not retrieve the fishing lure
    2. Do not retrieve the frisbee golf frisbee

Should I just not put the dog in these situations? (Fishing lure scenario could have been bad without a quickly thrown tennis ball in the other direction of the lake.)

Thanks in advance.

Teach him to retrieve on command only is the best way to stop that if you want to include them in your outings.

In the mean time try not to put him/her in that situation.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

When Bacon tries to retrieve an object that is undesireable, I simply give the no command and call him to me.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Real Retriever
    That is not really teaching not to retrieve, that is making certain items/objects forbidden.

I fish and all my labs have been fishing dogs so understand there. It really is an easy task but... expect and be prepared at all times to extract a few fishing hooks in your time together. Accidents do happen. This is where a good "STOP" or "HOLD" command comes in and all those 'daily examinations' you have been doing on your pup pay off. "HO!" dog stops. "Let me check", you can examine the imbedded hook and extract, all is well!!! If your pup is still on the wild side, it might be a bit early for fishing, work on discipline first.

Start the pup early with 'mine' objects and 'your' objects. "Mine" objects are forbidden. We have "dangerous" objects too but that takes a bit more work and your pup needs to have trust in you for those to work.

From day 1, I label EVERYTHING in the house as mine or yours. Mine objects get taken away and replaced with an appropriate Yours item. As they progress I put objects on the coffee table, point to them (touching them too) and say Mine. These objects are not to be touched. Eventually, when the pup sniffs an object, you say Mine and it is left alone. Yes, a lot of work but remember, the more time and effort spent in the first two years, the better of a companion you will have!

Starting out, your pup will need to be leashed when learning about casting. Make sure they have had a good long exercise session so they are not as wound up! Water, you, stuff being thrown... Is mighty exciting! Get a good 'sit' 'stay' and cast. When it hits the water, LOTS of praise for being so good!!! Even if there was some struggling they are still good for staying put. Reel in, repeat.

It is going to take a number of fishing expeditions where it is all about training, count on it. And, if anyone else is around you will feel like a nut for talking to your dog while training. Forget them and concentrate on training your dog to go fishing and all the "RULES" associated with it. It pays HUGE dividends in the long run!

Same with the frizbee, It is "Mine", "Not a toy", "No"... whatever word or phrase you like to use for something not to be chased.

You have a retriever. It's in their nature.
    Don't take the dog fishing... they jump off the boat, disturb the fish, so many things they can hurt themselves on. Take your dog out on the boat for a joy ride, take them for a hike.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    You have a retriever. It's in their nature.
    Don't take the dog fishing... they jump off the boat, disturb the fish, so many things they can hurt themselves on. Take your dog out on the boat for a joy ride, take them for a hike.
    Bacon is a pro fisher-dog it can happen!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Train the dog.. period. Leave It is one of the most important commands you can teach a lab. As is Stay, Come, etc. The trained retrieve is a valuable tool as well. I'd never forbid one of mine from retrieving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconsMom View Post
    My dad is a super fisherman... he has made it clear Luna's not allowed to help him fish! Only visit for boat rides. I believe you, but it's just safest in my opinion to not put them in that situation at all.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Real Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconsMom View Post
    It sure can and I have had two, working on the third one now. Both the others were canoe savvy and caused no issues once trained. They were both excellent fishing companions in boats, canoes, beach or lake environments and we had fantastic times fishing.

All it takes is TIME and TRAINING. For those folks who say it can not be done, ask your self this: Why are Labrador Retrievers the most widely used canine for human assistance companions? They have incredible intelligence AND more importantly, and inherent need to please. Their main drive is to do whatever makes you happy with them. It is your job, as their caretaker, to teach them what they need to learn. I believe a lot of people underestimate just how much a well bred lab is capable of.

Most people are happy with a lab companion that fetches, sits, stays, walks on a leash and is acceptable in social situations. Maybe does some cute tricks and is house trained. That is great and easily enough done with TRAINING and TIME spent teaching them what you expect. They end up with the perfect dog they wanted!

I expect much more from my companions and spend a lot of time TRAINING them as to what the proper behavior is. Some people train for agility, dock diving, hunting, human assistance companions... I train them to accompany me on everything I do in life, they are my canine companion. Nothing makes them happier than to be able to accompany me wherever I go and join in on whatever activity I engage in. AND, more importantly, they are even happier that while they accompany me they are always a 'Good Girl' for knowing how to behave in an acceptable manner.

Train your dog to Leave It.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (08-20-2014), windycanyon (08-15-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos