Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Being picky about PP Sport

The last couple of weeks, Rudy has not really been excited about eating his food, ProPlan Sport 28/18. He has been on that since I got him at age 4 mos. I have been mixing chicken or veg broth in it, which he ate for awhile but won't now. The vet suggested cooked hamburger/rice in w/ it for a couple of days. Last night, he gobbled it up, this morning, left some of the kibble. He acts fine, good energy, good poops, gums are fine....Maybe time to switch, could he be just be getting sick of it? I did get a small bag of PP Select Duck/RIce to see if he would eat that. Any advice would be great.

Could be the weather, if it's hot. Could be that the dog may be getting older and not need as much food? I do rotate my PP foods. See if the Duck works. I like the Selects Turkey. You can see about the Sport 30/20 in Salmon.

Adding too many extras just makes them expect it unless you want to add it for life. We do a spoon of canned for every meal. For all the dogs.

They are planning to end the PP Select Duck and Rice. At least that's what my pet store said. They don't sell enough of it.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.
    (Herman Melville Redburn)

I am personally a not fan of any Purina products and many other brands that contain a lot of cheap fillers.
    I have researched a lot of different dog foods because I want to insure I am not feeding my dog something that could be bad for him
    Some of what I have found is that a lot of the inexpensive and even some of the expensive foods that Vets recommend are full of cheap fillers that have no benefit to pets and some can be even be harmful.
    A lot of the Purina products are full of these cheap filler ingredients.
    Two of the first 5 ingredients in Pro Plan dog food are Corn Gluten Meal and Wheat, these are just fillers.
    Corn and wheat can cause allergies in people and dogs
    Gluten sensitivity can lead to stomach cramps, diarrhea, and bloating
    Corn gluten meal is not as digestible as high quality animal protein ingredients
    I try to avoid gluten in my meals as well.
    There are plenty of foods out there that have high quality protein and no Corn, wheat, or gluten fillers and are about the same price range as Purina Pro Plan foods

JM2Cents

JenC & classiq: thanks for the tips. The store I went to only had Duck/Rice PP, so not much of a choice. I mixed it this morning w/ his PP and burger/rice and he gobbled it right up. I will try a different store and look for the turkey.
    hharvey: I used to feed Innova, all my dogs loved it. THen the 2 recalls happened and it was a real pain to figure out another food. The PP sport worked out well, vet said she feeds her labs that, as do a couple other lab friends.
    Dog food isle is like the cereal isle, ACK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hharvey View Post
    I am personally a not fan of any Purina products and many other brands that contain a lot of cheap fillers.
    I have researched a lot of different dog foods because I want to insure I am not feeding my dog something that could be bad for him
    Some of what I have found is that a lot of the inexpensive and even some of the expensive foods that Vets recommend are full of cheap fillers that have no benefit to pets and some can be even be harmful.
    A lot of the Purina products are full of these cheap filler ingredients.
    Two of the first 5 ingredients in Pro Plan dog food are Corn Gluten Meal and Wheat, these are just fillers.
    Corn and wheat can cause allergies in people and dogs
    Gluten sensitivity can lead to stomach cramps, diarrhea, and bloating
    Corn gluten meal is not as digestible as high quality animal protein ingredients
    I try to avoid gluten in my meals as well.
    There are plenty of foods out there that have high quality protein and no Corn, wheat, or gluten fillers and are about the same price range as Purina Pro Plan foods

JM2Cents
    "Fillers" is a term that food companies have latched onto to suggest that their food is better than another. All ingredients provide some nutrition, calories, vitamins, minerals. If feeding kibble, you may wish to feed your dog a different source of carbohydrates, but if a food isn't using corn or whatever some are calling a "filler", those foods use potatoes or peas to provide carbs, which are not necessarily better for the dog or better quality. Corn is seen less often as an allergen than chicken, beef, dairy, or soy protein. You may wish to provide protein from animal-based sources rather than plant-based sources, such as corn gluten meal or pea protein, but that's different than saying that certain foods contain "fillers' with no nutritional value.

Anyway, many breeders and owners feed ProPlan or other foods that are not considered super premium foods and their dogs look good, feel good, and live good long lives. Some dogs do better with "grain-free" foods (that still contain carbs from different sources), some do better on grain-inclusive foods, some do well on super premium foods, some do better on mid-grade foods, some do better on raw. I wouldn't get too caught up on the "filler" label. If your dog does well on ProPlan, you could reasonably stick with it unless you have specific reasons to change.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

LabLady101 (08-14-2014), Nancy0 (08-18-2014)

After feeding just about every fancy brand on the market, I feed my show and performance dogs Pro Plan. I find too many folks get caught up on the marketing BS and forget about feeding a food that works for their dogs. I have seen too many folks on this board since I joined in 2003 that felt they needed to feed something "special and natural" and the dogs just had constant diarrhea and bad coats...but gosh darn-it, they were feeding "the best".

We'll get along better if folks recommend what they feed because they know if works vs. bashing certain brands because they think they know better. I recommend what I feed my dogs...PP and Earthborn Holistics.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (08-14-2014), LabLady101 (08-14-2014), msdogs1976 (08-14-2014), Nancy0 (08-18-2014)

I've tried feeding Roxy other fancy high quality foods as well, like Fromm, Annamaet, etc, but she won't eat them. All she wants is Pro Plan and Earthborn. She loves them both.
    - LS2Erin

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    b. 12/17/12
    My rock 'n roll star.
    Hidden Content
    10/09/00 - 01/24/12
    My pride and joy, R.I.P.

Before Pro Plan, Mac was eating Fromm, no recalls, and so many flavors to choose from. I could work with that--he couldn't.I never could get his poops right, and he more or less was a hit and miss on the foods. When he started having other problems, my vet thought we should get another food. I decided to try pro plan. He likes it, and I'm getting solid poops,and no other problems. Now I hear that pro plan is going to discontinue the duck and rice. Now we have to decide what one we are going to try.

I am not bashing fromm--it's a great company. Mac just didn't do well on it.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

Before Pro Plan, Mac was eating Fromm, no recalls, and so many flavors to choose from. I could work with that--he couldn't.I never could get his poops right, and he more or less was a hit and miss on the foods. When he started having other problems, my vet thought we should get another food. I decided to try pro plan. He likes it, and I'm getting solid poops,and no other problems. Now I hear that pro plan is going to discontinue the duck and rice. Now we have to decide what one we are going to try.

I am not bashing fromm--it's a great company. Mac just didn't do well on it.
    Kathy--mom to:
    Mac--chocolate lab
    Scotty--Arabian gelding

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos