Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-stuffing Marrow Bones

We recently moved into an apartment until I graduate in December and Lulu has had a bit of a hard time adjusting to being alone (my old roommates both had dogs, so she was never without a companion) and hearing "unusual" noises, such as the next door neighbor's front door opening and closing. She's gone from an occasional barker, usually when I first leave and first come home, to an excessive barker. As in, EXTREMELY excessive. She barked for 5 hours straight yesterday. A friend of mine who trains, breeds, and shows Kuvasz recommended an ultra sonic bark control collar (NOT a shock collar) to help curb the barking, since it only occurs when I am not home and every other attempt to ignore her when she's barking/turn it into a command/scold her for barking and praise her for being quiet hasn't worked. She also recommended getting her a filled bone to keep her occupied and divert her attention from the fact she's alone. I've got several hollow marrow bones, both large and small, that I can fill. The last few days, I've been putting some peanut butter in them, but I haven't been filling them since PB is so high in calories and fills her up. Any recommendations on things I could put in there (and freeze overnight) besides PB that won't be so high in calories or require a major change in her diet? She's not a big fan of sweet potatoes or any veggies really. She's a bit picky I've tried stuffing some of her food in the PB so she's eating AND occupied, but I'd just prefer to have a backup to swap out with the PB every once in a while to keep her from having weight issues or eating issues and to keep her from getting bored with the same treat every day.

Also, any tips on how to help combat the barking besides the collar would be great too. It seems to be working to a degree. But I hate that she is so stressed when I'm gone. She stays home by herself when we go visit my mom and she's just fine without other dogs or people around. I'm sure she'll settle in soon and I'm hoping the bones with treats will help (by only giving them to her when I'm gone and taking them when I'm home). I'm hoping she'll eventually make the connection that Mom leaving means treats haha. But any advice and tips would be appreciated, because I do hate seeing my baby so upset every time I reach for my keys.

**Also, apologies if this is on the wrong board. I figured the diet and nutrition threads would be a start, since I'm concerned about all the PB altering her diet. If I need to place it in a different board, please let me know and I'll be glad to do so!

I give my 2 dehydrated sweet potato chips when I leave for work that keeps them busy until I'm out the door. They get it just before I'm going out the door. I've filled empty marrow bones with nearly overripe bananas, they fit nicely. I freeze them.

My dogs don't bark when I leave, to my knowledge. My sister used a citronella collar on her dog when she crated him. After one or 2 spritzes, she said he no longer barked in the crate, at all. No shock, only the spritz. I don't like to leave my dogs for long in their crates wearing a collar, so I'd try it on a day I'm not working so I'd only go outside the door for a short period of time, see if he barks, but not leave him all day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

hallieworthington (08-13-2014)

Thanks for the tip about bananas! I didn't realize dogs could eat bananas, but that would be great for her!

The collar isn't a shock collar, it's an ultrasonic collar, so when she barks, it emits a high pitched whistle that I can't hear, but she can. It seems to annoy her, but doesn't harm her or shock her or anything. She usually stays out while I'm gone all day, so that's why I'm looking for something to keep her occupied as long as possible.

I stuff bits of chopped apple in and also bananas and blueberries. Will LuLu eat carrots? Sometimes I mix the stuff in and freeze it with peanut butter and sometimes I don't. I think I have seen people say they also use yogurt but I haven't used that.
    I don't know about the barking issue but I hope you find a solution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

How long ago did you move and does she have a safe place? ie particular room/ area in the house she goes too before you leave.

I find marrow bones don't occupy dogs as long as a filled kong or treat dispensing toy with a smaller diameter hole. As for stuffing, get creative. I do various layers and veggies aside, here are a few of the ingredients I use are: yogurt, bananas, blueberries, pineapple, canteloupe, mango, carob chips, chunky applesauce, dried liver, dehydrated chicken or beef etc. If she would eat asparagus or green beans, those you can freeze long ways, and really make them a fun treat. I choose three or so ingredients, then do a few layers, cover both ends with wax paper (so the stuffing doesn't fall out) and freeze overnight. I even add their daily tablespoon of coconut oil to the top before giving them.

If you feed kibble and she is loose in the house, I would recommend a treat dispensing ball, but instead of treats, put her meals inside so she has to work for her food. It will cut back on the added calories/sweets. Also, a long walk before you leave and perhaps a 10 min training session to help tire her out mentally before you leave will help. You may also want to look into Nina Ottosson ineractive puzzles for dogs, we have a few my dogs have learned to "play" quite well. She may just need more time to adjust, but making her work for her meals and regular exercise should help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerodogs For This Useful Post:

We just moved in last week. She has roam of the house, but my bedroom and her crate (which she isn't a huge fan of) is always open and available to her. I also didn't realize dogs could eat so many "people foods"! Good to now I'll definitely have to try some of these treats for her. I'll also try putting her food in a kong we have. She hasn't really been a fan of the kong before, but I bet if I put her food in there, it might entice her more. I know she needs time to adjust, which is so hard to wait for, because I hate seeing/hearing her so anxious. I'll also have to try play time and a walk before leaving. We live in GA, so with the heat, she wear out pretty quick. I bet a quick walk would help! Thanks so much for all the tips so far. Id love to hear more!

Also, I had a friend suggest putting puréed hotdogs or baby food in a bone/kong and freezing it. Anyone know if that could be good/bad? I wouldn't think doing hotdogs every day would be good, but what about maybe rotating it out with other frozen treats?

New Kongs can have a strong smell and perhaps taste. I always throw mine in the dishwasher before use (and in between uses for cleanliness).Some people use hotdogs for training, but they are not ideal and baby food tends to be high in sodium, so those would not be on my list to give my dogs, especially regularly. Some baby food, like the applesauce, sweet potato or pumpkin are generally okay, but the adult variety is better (and generally less expensive). I feed a raw diet so most of my dogs recreational chews are similar, ie dehydrated meats, himalayan chews, bully sticks, raw bones etc. so I honestly don't use stuffed kongs very frequently. You can always get a few different fruits/veggies to try and blend three of her favorites together to a coleslaw like consistency and fill her kong with that and yogurt to freeze.

For the barking, you can try going through the motions of leaving and reward good behavior. Maybe teach a place command, a dog bed or similar space where she will always get a reward of some type when she goes, lays down, and is quiet. Work your way to opening the door and rewarding when she goes to her place, then shutting the door, and gradually increase the increments you leave. You just have to be careful that when you leave and she barks, you wait her out and only return when she is quiet. In teaching place, you not only teach a position (down) but also a behavior (quiet). The goal is for her to have a safe spot where she feels comfortable and can get rewarded for good behavior. I'm not saying that is the only place you can reward her, but it will help create a positive association when you leave. Hopefully, it is just a matter of her getting use to a new environment and routine. When I moved my older rescue girl took about a week to really settle in, so I've been there. Give her time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerodogs For This Useful Post:

hallieworthington (08-14-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by hallieworthington View Post
    I also didn't realize dogs could eat so many "people foods"! Good to now I'll definitely have to try some of these treats for her. I'll also try putting her food in a kong we have.

Dogs have been eating human food for thousands and thousands of years whereas they have been only eating kibble for 20-50 years (depending on region).

I don't know how old your dog is but I guess it's a pup. I personally wouldn't leave a marrow bone with a pup or a dog without supervision, especially if I was going to leave the pup for up to 5 hours.

I agree with the posters that recommend putting fruit/veges cut up with yoghurt or even better, their kibble meal frozen...this makes them work for it and increases the chances of sleeping afterwards. Also, exercise and play big time before you leave!

There are some human foods that are toxic to dogs, like grapes or apple seeds etc There is a thread here with a list of foods dogs can eat.

Oh, and dogs usually get fussy with food because of how and what we feed...so it's good to keep up some variety and sneak some foods in with a good dose of food they like. We often think they want a store bought treat when a piece of carrot can be regarded as a treat...especially how you behave when you give the food.

When you return home and your pup is barking in her crate, don't immediately go to her, otherwise you are rewarding the barking. Wait until she is quiet and immediately say something like "no bark", for example, and reward her with "good girl", for example.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

Have you tried leaving the radio or the tv on when you leave? I always leave music on for Sam when I leave the house. It helps mask the outside street noise and minimize barking.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos