Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Shaking hind legs and can't jump up!

On Thursday, my 8 year old male lab suddenly couldn't jump on the bed or counter surf. His back legs were shaking and he was obviously in pain. I took him to the vet and they said it was most likely a hardened disc in his spine. They sent him home with muscle relaxers, pain meds and anti inflammatories. The poor baby is so fearful now and doesn't seem to be comfortable anywhere in the house except his crate.

The vet said our next step is xrays (which won't show the spine but could rule some things out) and then an MRI. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice or words of wisdom? I hate to see my joyful little guy suffering and so fearful. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Oh gosh. 8 seems really young. I am going through this right now with my 13 year old lab. Over the last year and 1/2 he has had had episodes where it is as though his back has gone out - and he is very very needy. After a brief course of meds - he would get progressively better. I would not take him for a walk for about a week - and then when it felt right - we would be back to our normal 3 mile walk. I would rest your dog - let him be in his crate - and then once he feels better - he will probably be back to his old self. We don't allow our dogs on the bed but Moby used to jump up and put his paws on the side of the bed in the morning to "remind" us to get up but we no longer allow this for fear he will hurt his back again. And - at 13 - it is pretty rare when he actually tries it. Has there been improvement since Thursday?

Puppy
    I think he's improved a bit since Thursday. He's definitely more comfortable. His behavior is strange though, which I'm sure is because he's afraid. Anytime he's out of his crate, he'll just stand around or try to sit on our feet (which is what he does when he's nervous). Thank you for your reply. It's helpful to know someone else is going through this and he'll be himself again!

So sorry. There are several things that can be going on. A disc problem like a ruptured disc. X-rays will show bone and if a disc has collapsed, it will show that the vertebra is closer to the next than normal. An MRI will give definition of soft tissue, i.e. disc. On the worse end, a spinal stroke. I would suggest getting the x-rays now and going from there.

Sending mojo and good thoughts.

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    I would get the X-rays done and if needed do the MRI. He may be in pain and that is why he seems nervous and fearful. Poor boy - hope he gets some relief soon! Please keep us posted!
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Senior Dog
    Sending healing thoughts!

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    I feel your worry. But he is young. If he has had no issues in the past and your are sure he has not had an accident/injury I would take him to a canine chiropractor (one that is recommended to you) before spending money on an MRI. I might do x-rays but then would still consider the chiro and take x-rays with you to that appntmnt.

Praying it is something minor that 1 or 2 adjustments can help.

You would be surprised how off a dog can be just because their vertebrae is out of wack. My chiro has helped my dogs a number of times/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (08-16-2014)

I agree with what Patty said, but if there is any chance it is a disc problem, x-rays should be done and shown to the veterinary chiropractor. Good luck!

Prayers.

I agree with the others on the x-rays. Sending good thoughts.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos