Last night Archie cornered a possum

in our courtyard. I'd never heard him growl like that! But he actually came to me when I called him. Good boy!

Of course, then I couldn't determine if the possum was actually dead or just playing dead. And Google informed me that it could take up to FOUR HOURS for it to recover if it had fainted.

And Archie was obsessed with getting back out there. "But mom, I found this .... creature, and I just want to show you, and maybe I should pick it up. OPEN THE DOOR, MOM!"

An hour later, the possum was gone. But Archie decided he should bark in his crate to let me know he REALLY wanted to go check again. And did I mention this was after 11 p.m. on the night before the first day of school for my kiddos??

Finally had to put the e-collar on him for 15 minutes. Only one buzz and he didn't talk back again.

Really hoping the possum decided our yard isn't a great spot to hang out!

Archie is a good boy for coming when you called!

Any why don't these things happen at more convenient times?

Hate possums! They are too slow. I got a 6' fence and my boy Rex has been getting 2 a week lately off the top of the fence. They don't come in my yard, they use the fence to get around. The last 2 weren't playing dead{they were}. He got one that had all the little babies hanging on it.
    At least the squirrels are faster and can get away safely.

They are such ugly creatures. Bandit caught a small one and brought it up onto the porch. Took it about a half hour to "awaken" and then run into the garage. That set off a whole chain of events trying to trap it, which we never did. Don't know where it went.

Senior Dog
    Gah, possums. Ugly beasts. Kimber is totally on Archie's side. She has her eye on a groundhog in our yard...
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

I looked up 'possums last year after Shadow caught and mouthed a baby--it played dead then ambled away after an hour. I was worried about rabies and found that there was little to fear. I also learned several interesting things about their benefits to the environment. Clicking thru the links on the below website, I also learned that analysis of road-killed possums, in Oregon, indicated that pet food made up 9% of their diet so you may want to make sure that you are keeping that picked up.

If you'd like to learn more: National Opossum Society

Well I'm glad to read more carefully and see this is about a possum and not a person as my mind first read.

Poor possums, they keep trying to move north and into our area but it gets pretty cold here in winter. When we see the odd possum hit on the road it's often missing a body part like ears or tails which I've read is likely due to bad frost bite.

analysis of road-killed possums, in Oregon, indicated that pet food made up 9% of their diet so you may want to make sure that you are keeping that picked up.
    Yes, I once stuck my hand into an open bag of dog food in the garage and .... there was a possum in the bag. I am not usually a screamer but holy crap that startled me. So needless to say, we don't keep pet food in the garage any more!

Archie is game to team up with Kimber and Rex for a hunting expedition!

Yep, I've also read some positive things about possums....they are unlikely to carry rabies, and I read something about how they can help reduce the tick population, b/c they are excellent groomers and eat the ticks on them or something.

But they totally creep me out.

Never fail to have one come winter. They love to walk along the top of the fence. Makes it easier to smack with a broom. Sadie cornered one once and they can hiss and snark in an ugly way!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos