Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Desperate for Suggestions...

I can't keep Marlin calm anymore. He had his surgery last Monday (FCP), so we have a way to go as far as recovery. I will be bringing him into the vet on Thursday night to have his sutures removed. But he is so excitable right now that I am at my wits end trying to keep him calm. I just gave him a dose of pain meds (Tramadol) with the hope that it will sedate him a little. He barks when he is in the crate so I have been keeping him in my kitchen, which is small. When I take him out to the backyard for potty, he is starting to jump like crazy and grab the leash to try to get me to play. I'm starting to really freak out because I'm afraid he will hurt himself.

I am going to ask the vet about physical therapy -- I know some vet hospitals use underwater treadmills. My thinking is that if I get the go ahead, this will burn a little energy off while helping the healing process.

Has anyone ever given benadryl to their dog for a sedating effect? Any suggestions? I do give frozen kongs, and marrow bones to occupy some of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin&Me View Post
    I can't keep Marlin calm anymore. He had his surgery last Monday (FCP), so we have a way to go as far as recovery. I will be bringing him into the vet on Thursday night to have his sutures removed. But he is so excitable right now that I am at my wits end trying to keep him calm. I just gave him a dose of pain meds (Tramadol) with the hope that it will sedate him a little. He barks when he is in the crate so I have been keeping him in my kitchen, which is small. When I take him out to the backyard for potty, he is starting to jump like crazy and grab the leash to try to get me to play. I'm starting to really freak out because I'm afraid he will hurt himself.

I am going to ask the vet about physical therapy -- I know some vet hospitals use underwater treadmills. My thinking is that if I get the go ahead, this will burn a little energy off while helping the healing process.

Has anyone ever given benadryl to their dog for a sedating effect? Any suggestions? I do give frozen kongs, and marrow bones to occupy some of his time.
    Please be sure not to mix these two kinds of meds without vet input. You don't need a coma, kidney issues, or other problems that can happen with some mixes of two meds.

I would consider having him hold and carry a bumper or other non bouncy toy on yr outings. Even a tug toy as long as you do not let him brace for a tug or pull and tug. Or train for something that he is allowed to do and give part of his food as a training treat. He is lucky to have such caregivers as you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

Senior Dog
    I've found a cone to be great at keeping enthusiasm down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

kongs filled with treats, or kongs filled with frozen yogurt, marrow bones, you can play quiet brain games, like hide and seek, but him in a stay and hide a toy where he can see it, then ask him to find it, keep hiding the same toy further and further until you are hiding it in another room

7. The Following User Says Thank You to krosen For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

There are also many puzzle type toys that you can get to work the brain. Mental exercise is great and does help to occupy and tire them some. Hide and seek is a great suggestion as well.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

Physical therapy and swimming will help burn physical energy. For mental stimulation puzzle games, feeding his meals via a treat/food dispensing toy, teaching basic tricks that don't require excessive movement (nose/paw touch for example) will also help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerodogs For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Please be sure not to mix these two kinds of meds without vet input. You don't need a coma, kidney issues, or other problems that can happen with some mixes of two meds.
    Thanks for that info! I did talk to the vet about benadryl. I wasn't planning on giving it while he was on Tramadol though.

He does carry around a toy but this impedes on his sniffing around to go potty. Also, he still wears an inflatable cone which doesn't seem to bother him at all! Since I don't have a pool and swimming at the beach is out since this will lead to running as well, I am going to inquire about the underwater treadmill when I see the vet tomorrow. I can also try the games everyone mentioned. It's just that he has soo much pent up energy that as soon as we begin he starts bouncing around! Ugh! Can't wait for this to be done.

Marlin turns one on Saturday! I will be sure to stop in the pet bakery and get him something extra special! At least he will lose the cone by then, lol!

Real Retriever
    Creek was the same exact way following her OCD shoulder surgery; she came home ready to fire and run the town. I was told from the ortho surgeon that the reason she had so much energy was because she was finally without pain and feeling better then she had for the 6mnths prior to surgery.

Surgery didn't effect her one bit - it DID stop and change some of the bad habits she had prior to surgery; which obviously meant she was a lot happier.

We were too - but it was exhausting; and it was also the coldest week that first week - walking her outside on a leash was torture to everyone.

We fought and fought to keep her as calm as we could - but I won't lie; she did do some standing up, small amounts of instant jiggling or short nut-run bursts within her small confinement in the living room from time to time.

We were always worried that we weren't keeping her calm enough and that we were allowing damage to form.

After 6-8wks of torture, we had her shoulder re-x-rayed; the recovery was perfect. Great looking amount of cartilage had reformed, no arthritis, etc.....couldn't have asked for more.

What was truly hard on us was the fact we have 2 dogs and all they wanted to do was play.

you can take her swimming with a long long cord, or just grab her and leash her as she comes out of the water so she can run around. if se's allowed to swim I would definitely take her swimming

15. The Following User Says Thank You to krosen For This Useful Post:

Marlin&Me (08-20-2014)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
    Creek was the same exact way following her OCD shoulder surgery; she came home ready to fire and run the town. I was told from the ortho surgeon that the reason she had so much energy was because she was finally without pain and feeling better then she had for the 6mnths prior to surgery.

Surgery didn't effect her one bit - it DID stop and change some of the bad habits she had prior to surgery; which obviously meant she was a lot happier.

We were too - but it was exhausting; and it was also the coldest week that first week - walking her outside on a leash was torture to everyone.

We fought and fought to keep her as calm as we could - but I won't lie; she did do some standing up, small amounts of instant jiggling or short nut-run bursts within her small confinement in the living room from time to time.

We were always worried that we weren't keeping her calm enough and that we were allowing damage to form.

After 6-8wks of torture, we had her shoulder re-x-rayed; the recovery was perfect. Great looking amount of cartilage had reformed, no arthritis, etc.....couldn't have asked for more.

What was truly hard on us was the fact we have 2 dogs and all they wanted to do was play.
    ^^^THIS SOUNDS LIKE US!!!
    Makes me feel a little better. Thanks for posting!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos