Puppy

TPLO Advice-Three weeks post-op

Hello Everyone! Really hoping someone who has been through TPLO surgery/recovery with their dog might be able to offer me some advice.

My 4 year old Lab, Watson, had TPLO surgery about two and a half weeks ago. He did amazing!! I was so worried before hand about recovery, I was really shocked at how well he seemed to be doing. I have followed my vets directions as perfectly as I could. He had the staples out last friday, and had very little swelling and bruising. He felt he was doing well enough to start the short five minute walks. He was doing really so good, I couldn't even see a limp! Yesterday and this morning he is limping on it again, and it's pretty significant. I have not left him unattended other than in our really small laundry room (with mats down to prevent slipping), and I have only taken him out to potty or his two five minute walks a day. I'm really stressed about this and hoping everything is ok! I did call and will take him tomorrow to get checked out, but couldn't get in until tomorrow afternoon and the surgeon is out today so can't talk to him.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Is it common for them to regress a bit when we start walks? Or has anyone had this happen and had to start all over??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Poor dude has had a tough year and I'm really hoping this isn't anything serious!!

2.5 weeks is super fast recovery in my opinion to be walking. maybe 2.5 months. I highly recommend physical therapy with a pro. the underwater treadmill takes a lot of weight off the dog so it can exercise.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Puppy
    We had a physical therapist out to our house last Wednesday. She showed me the passive range of motion and she said the same thing with the short, slow five minute walks. I'm supposed to increase each week and be walking 30 minutes twice a day by eight weeks post op. I will have to ask about the treadmill, thank you!

2.5 weeks is normal to resume walks after a TPLO. The limping is likely just his body's way of saying it's a bit too much for him right now. Rest him for a day or two and try again in a few days once the limp has reduced. Start with only one 5 minute walk for a few days, he has to build up the muscle again. I wouldn't worry about it.

Coast is about 10 weeks post TPLO. Sounds like he just over exerted himself. I'd ice it and keep him crated except to go out to potty for a couple of days. If he's still limping tomorrow after ice, I'd be headed back to the surgeon.

My dog had a TTA, but it's a very similar surgery. Yes, short and slow walks 2 weeks out is normal. He needs to walk around on it, it helps the bone to heal. I did have a regression with Lily at 6 weeks post op. I had her up to 15 minute walks and she was doing so well, I thought she was ready to go up to 20 minutes. I was wrong. She began limping again and I rested her for 4 days without it getting better. So I called her surgeon and he checked her out, even did an early set of x-rays just to make sure everything was ok. All of her hardware was fine and her bone was healing well, she just had a case of tendonitis. I had to rest her again for 3 weeks and start over. I felt terrible. Try increasing (when he's ready) only by about 2 minutes each time to avoid that. For now, I would rest for a few days and see if he gets better. Have you started backing his pain meds down yet? If you have, you may want to increase them again for a few days.

House Broken
    We're at 10 weeks post TPLO and our 5 year old limps occasionally too. The Surgeon said if he over does it to cut back and rest. Then start up again. Keep up with the icing. It helps and it will get him off the pain meds sooner if he isn't already off them. Good luck.

Puppy
    Thank you for all the responses! We rested him up and he hasn't been limping since Thursday morning now! I will start with one walk a day starting this afternoon, do that for a few days and just go a little slower with him!

Any of you have suggestions on how to keep them from getting bored while under restriction. We give him elk antlers to chew on once a day when we are there, but I know he is starting to go a little stir crazy!

Here's a website with some good ideas:
    Our TPLO Experience: Recovery Games

The time goes by faster than I thought. We have 4 labs total, so keeping Coast away from his brothers/sister has been the hardest part.
    13 days left before the final xray (not that I'm counting or anything :-))

Good luck!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos