Puppy

Get the girl to rest!

So... this chat board has done wonders for me in learning how to train my pup. In just a few days, my change in tactics has really helped modify her behavior. It's been AMAZING!

Thus, I'm hoping for some more help This might be a little long winded, so please bear with me.

How do I get my 8 month old pup to relax after a big play session? Is there a command I could/should use to signal it's okay for her to take a break?

What I mean is that we'll go for a long walk, or play fetch, or something, and she'll be good and tired. Usually that's when I start cooking dinner or doing a few chores, because I know she'll be zonked for a little while. So, I lock the baby gate which gives her access to the kitchen, dining room (which is on the other side of the breakfast bar) and the laundry room, where her food and water are kept.

The thing is that she flops on the ground and rests until I move again. Whether I walk from one side of the kitchen to the other or go into the laundry room to switch loads, she gets up and follows me, and lays down until I move again. NOW, I don't mind, I welcome her company anytime and she isn't getting in my way, but I also want to let her know it's okay for her plop down in front of the window and take a break, watch some birds, or cool off in the laundry room which has a nice tile floor for overheated puppies.

Any thoughts? I really don't mind her following me, but I was thinking there was some kind of "release" word I could use so that she knows she is "on her own time"?

Thanks!!!

This is typical Lab behaviour, they just want to be with you all the time. Short of getting in my way and making me trip ( think carrying laundry basket down stairs) I rather like it. My first girl didn't do that but that was just her. I do insist they move for me and I am careful in the kitchen where pots of boiling water might be moving from stove to sink. So I do have a word for Get Out Of My Way and it's TRACK. Accompanied by a good shove it was learned pretty quickly. It's a cross country ski word for letting the slow skiier ahead know that I am coming through and want the track so they are to step out of my way.

Track is a command for me. I do have a release word and it's FREE. For instance I ask for a SIT and it's done and the dog no longer has to sit, I release from the sit with FREE.

You didn't ask but there's another one I learned that might help you teach a young dog some self control. It was taught by two of our trainers one of whom insisted all puppies in her class practice this regularly till a year old. It's called a Forced Down but there is little force and you don't want to call it Down as it is not a formal position and doing so might screw up response for obedience. Simple, put puppy lying down for 3 seconds, on leash so you can hold her, let her up, no words. Do 30 seconds several times, then a minute. Then stop. Later try again. Work up in minutes at her speed, 1 3 5 10 15 20 till, yay, 30 minutes. That's a whole TV sitcom and you can sit and watch it. Stand on the leash, kneel on it, whatever. She can flop around and change sides but she has to be reposing on the floor. It teaches her how to chill out and just be calm and quiet.

Other folks teach PLACE or MAT which might also be one you like.

LOL, if Scarlett is "on her own time" and she chooses to spend her time following you, well, then, that's what you get. As I said, I don't mind. But any of the above might be helpful. Have fun.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

scarlettstarlet (08-22-2014)

Was gong to mention place or mat. After an intense session of play, Archie is ready to cool off, but he still follows me around like a shadow. As long as he's not in the way while I'm in the kitchen, he's welcome to follow. He's picked a spot in front of the frig and I had to teach him to move just a little so the freezer drawer will open.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

scarlettstarlet (08-22-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks! I'm happy to have her follow, it gives me someone to talk to and she is very good about staying out of my way. Good point though, Snowshoe, she does choose to follow me, I don't ask her to, so I guess that is how she wants to spend her time.

Its normal behavior, most dogs want to be with there humans. I have 4 dogs who all move when I do. I cant even use the bathroom without them, they must think the toilet will suck me up or something! If I really need them out of my way, they go in there crates for a while.

With that said, I do not allow them in the kitchen while im cooking. They are told to go lay down.

Real Retriever
    Agree, it is her choice and enjoy the fact that she wants to be around you!!! Sunshine still just needs me to be in sight. I positioned her blanket so she can see me in the LR and kitchen. Bathroom is a different story. She needs to be sitting in the doorway watching, like most other labs. It has been this way for her almost 3 years with me. Same with my other labs also. There is one door, I go in, I come out a bit later. I wonder if they feel there is some magical kingdom in there that if they do not keep an eye on us, we will have all sorts of fun and they will miss out on it!

We do have two different 'lie down' commands. "Relax (with the appropriate hand sign) is used for a commanded down; right here, right now. "Break time" or "Take a Break" (different hand sign) is used when she needs to go lie down and leave me alone, her choice of where to go.

Snowshoe: Interesting, our phrase is "Be FREE!" I use "Ok" to break for a command but "Be FREE!" is used when she is all done having to strictly listen to me and is on her own time.

Good advice above. This discussion reminds me of a photo I saw that made me laugh. Life with dogs is rarely lonely

This is how I know where my girl friend is... - Imgur
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Archie For This Useful Post:

Woodrow_Woodchuck (08-22-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos