Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm the worst cat owner EVER!

Oh boy...

Over the weekend I went camping with my family for one night, leaving on Saturday morning. I filled the cat's feeder, made sure there was plenty of water, cleaned her littler box, took the dogs on a long walk and then dropped Sam off with a friend and took Linus with me since he hasn't been feeling well. Originally it was a dog-free trip but it was either Linus goes or I stay home. He spent most of the trip crated in the campground and we took several walks per day on the blacktop. He is doing better, by the way. Has some Metro and pro-biotics. I should find out today what his poo has to say about his health.

Anyway, I got home yesterday afternoon after picking up Sam, went inside the house and...no kitty. I checked the bedroom thinking she might be sleeping under the bed. Nothing. I had shut the other bedroom door as well as the bathroom door. I went into the utility room and her food hadn't been touched. The litter box still looked clean as well. Scratching my head, I went into the backyard with the dogs and kinda stood there for a second. That is when I hear the unmistakable meowing of my cat. She's at the neighbors' place hiding in the junk they keep on their side of the wood privacy fence, but I can see her pacing against the fence. So, I run back in, through the house and to the front yard where she can get through the picket fence, which she does.

I grab her and she is filthy but in one piece. I gave her a bath and checked her over for any bites, injuries, etc. She was fine, thank goodness! She was hungry and thirsty and she konked out around 9pm. So, clearly exhausted.

I feel absolutely terrible! She slipped outside through the door at some point and I just didn't see her. All windows were closed, so that was definitely how she got out. And the cat now tries to go outside every chance she gets. What the...? Did she not learn anything?

I am going to get some penny filled cans to set by the doors to shake at her when she tries. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Obviously, I am going to start doing a headcount before I leave my house!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Bamps (08-25-2014)

Oh No! I can't imagine your fright! I'm so glad she's OK. Our cat, Duchess, spent the first 6 months of her life under a dumpster. She knows how good she's got it inside (for the past 10 years) and doesn't try to go out. But we still watch her.

When she's misbehaving (which really isn't very often), we'll squirt her with a water bottle. She hates it so it's a good deterrent for her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (08-25-2014)

And the cat now tries to go outside every chance she gets. What the...? Did she not learn anything?
    She sure did learn. She learned it's way more interesting outside. You are going to have to be really, really, really careful from now on. No harm done, nice she came to you.

We came home once to find no cat inside. Checked all over, called my friend who was checking in, yes, Ginger had been in last she'd been here. Checked more thoroughly and noticed bird feathers on the floor. What? Turned out she had clawed through a screen and had been coming and going as she pleased. And bringing take out home with her to eat in the house.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (08-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]

She sure did learn. She learned it's way more interesting outside. You are going to have to be really, really, really careful from now on. No harm done, nice she came to you.

We came home once to find no cat inside. Checked all over, called my friend who was checking in, yes, Ginger had been in last she'd been here. Checked more thoroughly and noticed bird feathers on the floor. What? Turned out she had clawed through a screen and had been coming and going as she pleased. And bringing take out home with her to eat in the house.
    You'd think that after that she wouldn't want to go outside. She was scared and hadn't had food or water or a nice place to sleep. I don't think I will ever understand cats!

Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar
    What I did with a curious cat long time ago - i hid outside the door with a spray bottle. DH propped the screen door ajar, and we waited. Miss Kitty hesitantly poked her head outside - I hit her bad with the spray. She was gunshy after that, but we never stopped being careful and and attentive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LucyTudeOn4Feet For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (08-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by LucyTudeOn4Feet View Post
    What I did with a curious cat long time ago - i hid outside the door with a spray bottle. DH propped the screen door ajar, and we waited. Miss Kitty hesitantly poked her head outside - I hit her bad with the spray. She was gunshy after that, but we never stopped being careful and and attentive.
    Well, I guess I know what I'm doing after work tonight!

Poor thing. Don't beat yourself up, everybody makes mistakes

What are you calling her now? Did you change her name? I think we are due for some more kitten photos.

It's Piper. I love Orange is the New Black and get it? She's orange? Plus she is so freaking loud -- the girl's got some pipes!

Every time I try to get a photo she gets up to come toward me so mostly I have awkward moving images of her starting to meow.

I did, however, get a couple cute videos of her. One was her smacking Linus for licking the dish she wanted to lick in the dishwasher and the other is her smacking him for taking a toy off the sofa that she decided she wanted after he started pulling it. When the smacks didn't work, she tried to hold onto it with her claws and then her mouth. I think we all know who won that game? The better one is too dark to really see but I will see if I can upload the other one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (08-26-2014)

Back when we had cats, it happened. They sneak out without us ever knowing. Luckily, we found them within hours but dang they wanted to stay out. No way kitties.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos