Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Lauren Bacall leaves money for dog

It's annoying how misleading newspapers can be, trying to be sensational! Reports were that Bacall left fortune to her dog in her will. When one reads the story further it states she left $10 000 for her son to look after her beloved dog. !!!

She had millions so leaving this amount of money does not seem at all a fortune. I know there are some stories of millionaires leaving all their money to their pets but this time it's not the case.

It does make sense and why wouldn't one think about their pets when they die.

Oh my O_O I guess $10,000 is a reasonable amount to leave for a dog...
    Hidden Content
    Herding Hanson the Handsome~born 11/28/2018
    Hammer Head Shark~forever in my heart 1/13/2011-4/30/2018
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerLover View Post
    Oh my O_O I guess $10,000 is a reasonable amount to leave for a dog...

Not really...She had nearly $30 000 000 .... So 0.03%, not even 1% of her money.

What do people pay to board a dog when they go away?? I see about $30 a night, so that money would only last one year and not include anything else, not even cover vet or food costs. As it's her son the money probably will just be to cover food and vet bills until it dies.

I have thought about this but it's a difficult one....especially if you actually don't really like how your family care for their own dogs.

This ^

My biggest concern after my first chemo treatment which put me in the hospital for 3 days was my dogs. Family would gladly step in to help with the kids. But not necessarily my dogs. Ironically my DW and Max bonded in the 3 days where she now is very close to him. Prior to that she tolerated him.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KenZ71 For This Useful Post:

Georgie (08-26-2014)

Senior Dog
    Not to be morbid, but when my time comes I would prefer doggie heaven to human heaven ...if only we could work it out that we could go together at the same time with our dogs.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

KenZ71 (08-26-2014), MikeLynn (08-25-2014)

Although I hope to outlive Cinder and Shadow, my revocable trust states $2000 for my cat and $5000 for Shadow. I will probably up the $$ for Shadow since he is now on a special diet, etc. I want to minimize the financial cost to my pets' future families. I'm not wealthy (and no kids) but if I die before my pets, what money I do have saved has well-defined distributions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to swanska For This Useful Post:

Georgie (08-26-2014)

House Broken
    Each of the beneficiaries of my dogs, (they will unfortunately be split up) get a dog and $10k each to care for them until they pass. The dogs are 9 and 10.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thndrkttn For This Useful Post:

Georgie (08-26-2014)

House Broken
    This very thing is on some breeders questionnaires - how will you provide for your animals if you can no longer take care of them or die? When the house next door to us went up for sale I jokingly asked my kids if they wanted to move in next door so they could take care of us in our old age. They both declined. My daughter said she would take care of us but wanted a nicer house . My son also said he would take care of us but not the dogs

House Broken
    I am sure the intent was to estimate a reasonable sum for maintaining a quality level of care for the dog until its death. It doesn't really matter how much other money she had. It would make no sense to leave a ridiculous sum of money for the care of a pet. Money leads to greed and lawsuits. If she was smart, she would divide her estate amongst her children/beneficiaries/charities however she desired, and then appoint the most trusting and caring person to take her dog with a modest sum to cover the expenses. Because you can bet that a dog with a million dollars attached to it will cease to be seen as a dog by anyone anywhere close to that estate.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie'sdad View Post
    I am sure the intent was to estimate a reasonable sum for maintaining a quality level of care for the dog until its death. It doesn't really matter how much other money she had. It would make no sense to leave a ridiculous sum of money for the care of a pet. Money leads to greed and lawsuits. If she was smart, she would divide her estate amongst her children/beneficiaries/charities however she desired, and then appoint the most trusting and caring person to take her dog with a modest sum to cover the expenses. Because you can bet that a dog with a million dollars attached to it will cease to be seen as a dog by anyone anywhere close to that estate.
    Exactly! And that is what she did. She left money with a particular son who was to be sole caretaker of the dog.

Its nice to know that people are thinking about and planning for their pets into the future.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos