Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

Is this a Very Large Pimple on the inside my dog's ear?

Hello my lab BooBoo was 2 this past May 16th. On the weekend I noticed what I think is a very large pimple the size of a pencil eraser. There is no discharge, no white center and she does not act like it bothers her or hurts her.-sam_0960-jpg
    It is not a tick, please look at the picture and let me know what you think. I am calling the vet in the morning. I called this evening but they were closed.

Thanks
    Wayne

Where is it located?

Puppy
    It is on the inside of the ear, close to the tip edge about an inch. If you look at my thumb and finger it is about an inch from the edge.

It doesn't look like a pimple to me from the photo. When I think of a pimple, I think of something that looks more like a pustule that could pop and drain. That doesn't look like that to me. The first thing that comes to mind would be something like a histiocytoma (Skin Tumor (Histiocytoma) in Dogs | petMD) but if it were on my dog, I'd have a vet take a look and make the diagnosis because there are other lumpy things dogs can develop and I'm no vet.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    It doesn't look like a pimple to me from the photo. When I think of a pimple, I think of something that looks more like a pustule that could pop and drain. That doesn't look like that to me. The first thing that comes to mind would be something like a histiocytoma (Skin Tumor (Histiocytoma) in Dogs | petMD) but if it were on my dog, I'd have a vet take a look and make the diagnosis because there are other lumpy things dogs can develop and I'm no vet.
    Thanks for the INFO. I looked at the link in your post and followed up looking at images for Histiocytoma. What I saw looks very much like what BooBoo has on her ear. I will be calling the vet first thing and insist on an apointment ASAP.

Wayne

Senior Dog
    Hoping all goes well!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Definitely not a pimple and yes, a vet appointment is in order. Best wishes that it's nothing to be concerned with!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Definitely looks like a Histiocytoma. Lola had one on her leg in November of last year. Our regular vet suggested surgery to remove it and do a biopsy, but we weren't convinced. A friend of mine who is a vet (he would be our regular vet, but his office is over an hour away) gave us a second opinion and told us to just monitor it, as they often just go away.

By coincidence, Lola got vaginitis just before we were going to go away for Thanksgiving. Our regular vet was on vacation, and the vet on duty suggested that we just try a prescription spray (I don't recall the name). Lola was also on an antibiotic at the time. Between the spray and the antibiotic, the Histiocytoma disappeared in no time.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SCDoug For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Histiocytoma. Normally they will go away on their own unless they are in a spot where they get irritated.

Maddy had one on her foot, and I sat and waited on it for weeks. I finally brought her in, was told it would go away on its own, and a week later it was gone.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Stepnout: Thanks for bringing this up and the picture. Valuable information.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

stepnout (08-29-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos