Hmmm...not Giardia

The vet and I were surprised to see that Linus' fecal came back clean. She's having me keep him on a probiotic (the one I have) for a couple months and if he has an episode, we will try the fortiflora. She said that some dogs need it (she explained it but I can't remember her exact words). He's going through the entire dose of metroconizale. In a couple days I am taking him in for a junior blood panel to check into him. She found his body condition to be perfect though he's lost weight. I think the weight loss is due to a very much increased activity level without increasing his food but with this mystery diarrhea I want to be sure.

I was was kinda hoping for something a bit more straightforward.

Here's a link to my original post.
    Last edited by Labradorks; 08-26-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Senior Dog
    To toss this into the mix.....

Did you mean metronidazole? Danny gets horrible diarrhea with that...worse than what put him on the med to begin with. Next time he needs an antibiotic we'll be trying something else.

Well, it's a good thing. Maybe he ate something that didn't agree with him. It happens. Good to know he is otherwise healthy.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Real Retriever
    Rivers did not do good on metronidazole either....we had to switch as it made his system worse, IMHO.

Sometimes the dogs just get an overgrowth of bacteria in their gut and it can lead to some nasty poops.

Yes, metronodizole, which seems to be agreeing with him as his poops started firming up right away and now they are about 90% there.

The diarrhea is a persistent and a 4-6 week thing. Each time the situation is identical in nature, but there are no other patterns, i.e., it's not after swimming, eating something specific, show nerves, etc. And, when it happens, it's not like it's just in the yard. It's all over my house. So, that makes me want to know what's happening and fix it as well.

Have you considered anything monthly, such as the gardener coming and spraying or fertilizing, heart worm medication or monthly flea preventative?
    I once had a puppy, not of my lines or breeding, that could not tolerate Heartgard Plus. 24 hours after administration she would have major projectile diarrhea, we started using something different after that, and it didn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Have you considered anything monthly, such as the gardener coming and spraying or fertilizing, heart worm medication or monthly flea preventative?
    I once had a puppy, not of my lines or breeding, that could not tolerate Heartgard Plus. 24 hours after administration she would have major projectile diarrhea, we started using something different after that, and it didn't happen again.
    I have gone through the scenario and no, I can't think of a darned thing! The only thing that's out of my hands around here (no gardener, or other similar service) is the possibility that the dog walker gives them some type of treat that doesn't agree but I don't think that's it as I have talked to her about it and typically his tummy isn't sensitive to new foods -- until I went raw I was feeding him a huge variety if treats.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos