Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you feed senior dog food?

My older girl Cedar will be 10 in November and I dare say it, she is getting heavier, up to 54 lbs from 48 lbs which I think is optimal for her, but the vet seemed to think 52 lbs would be a good weight.

I am feeding both of mine Acana Grasslands which is fairly high calorie and not a "senior" food.

I am not running her and walking her as much due to a foot injury, but we do still get out probably more than the average dog. She is not an enthusiastic retriever, so ball throwing to burn calories is not an option like with my 3 year old who eats probably double the quantity and weighs less.

Would senior food be a better option here? She is my first senior dog. She is on Grizzlys salmon oil and Glucosamine, so food that covers.those 2 is not a necessity.

And maybe when I am injury free I can get her running more again, but I think 3 miles a few times a week is probably enough for an older dog - or do I run her more if.she can handle it fine?

I didn't feed Hudler or Maddy or even Grace now, anything different than regular kibble.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

fidgetyknees (08-26-2014)

I've never been a fan of senior foods. I would feed her less of the regular food or increase her exercise as possible.
    -Elizabeth & chocolate pup Nora
    Philadelphia, PA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kerplunk105 For This Useful Post:

Regular food for our senior and we adjust up or down based in her weight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Have never fed senior food. Always regular and adjusted for weight. I have found the frozen green bean trick works really well if you need to cut food and think they are still hungry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Learned here not to feed senior food so have kept Mardi on regular, just less of it, and added frozen green beans and often a little fruit. FYI, Fromm Whitefish and potato is lower in calories and actually had to up the amount for Mardi as she was losing too much weight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

fidgetyknees (08-27-2014)

Senior Dog
    I feel that senior food is gimmicky.. Remember that seniors may actually need extra protein to help maintain muscle mass.

They do well on an all life stages food or just a regular adult food.. I would not go less than 26 percent protein and 15 or 16 percent fat.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lovemylabby For This Useful Post:

Real Retriever
    Would NEVER feed a senior food.

Did it once, learned my lesson hugely. Actually caused muscle and energy loss.

Stay with the food you're feeding, just feed slightly less and add a few vegetables in place.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Woofie For This Useful Post:

All good posts IMO. My golden is 13 and I have never fed him or any of my former senior dogs "senior" kibble. Why? Because typically they are lower on protein and higher in carbs which can actually cause weight gain or at least make it difficult to lose weight. I would also look for quality protein coming from a specific meat meal and not from plant protein. As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't drop below the 26/16 protein/fat percentage for a healthy senior lab. It is easy for them to lose muscle mass as they age without enough quality protein.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

Same here. When the store tried to push it at the ripe old age of seven (7, for heaven's sake) I called the breeder who said no, she never did and did not advise it. Even my Vet pooh poohed the idea, though he did say to wait till age 8. LOL.

You know, none the senior humans I know get special food. Not just because of their age.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos