Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Little Miss 5:45 am

A few weeks ago, I'd shared that my almost-9-year-old lab was trying to retrain us to get up earlier, and after years and years of sleeping until 7, she'd been bugging us at 5:45. This week we were in Florida on vacation and she let us sleep until almost 7. Today was our first morning back home and yep, at 5:46 am exactly she started flapping her ears and asking to be let out. I got up and opened the front door- but no Kimber. I looked back and she had come to a dead stop in the kitchen.

"C'mon, Kimber, outside." I said.
    She looked at me, looked at the closet where her food is, and looked back at me.
    "Outside," I repeated.
    She stamped her paw.
    "You're not getting breakfast until 7" I said.

And that little beast snorted, TURNED AROUND, and went back into the bedroom!

Where I promptly crated her. Oh, it's on, girl.

This may get interesting! I'm betting on Kimber.

Puppy
    I'd kill to sleep in that late...Charlie is a 4am'er and he's consistent 7 days a week...sigh.

Senior Dog
    New member with a rescue pup that likes to get up early. Thankfully we are early risers ourselves, but am teaching Lilly to wait for breakfast too. Have had that "paw stamp" myself, and lots of mouthing, so she has been put in her crate as well. So far, only had to do it twice. Maybe because she's a pup and a rescue, who is doing everything she can to please?

KAZ

Power struggle. Ava was always fine in the kennel until I got her up. I usually get up at 5:00 but sometimes like to sleep in until 6:00. Ava now starts making little noises at 5:00 or a little earlier. She won't stop. I've ignored her for an hour and for two hours but she won't stop. It's almost impossible to find a break during which I can get up in an attempt to not reward her behaviour by getting up while she's making noise. This has been going on for a few months now with no sign of relief. She's not going to give up. I would ban her from the bedroom but when she's crated in the other room she barks (that went on for three months before I gave in and put the crate in the bedroom). All of this behaviour occurred well past all the puppy time in which you expect these things.
    Last edited by ckfalz; 05-23-2014 at 09:50 PM.

House Broken
    Kimber and Thea are a day apart and lately, we've been noticing little changes as well. We've come to rely on routine and all of sudden it's "No, I'm not going to go #2 before I come in." Wait, whut?

There's also more activity at night; on the bed, off the bed, ear flapping, on the bed, off the bed, on the bed, circle, circle, circle, circle, flop.

I think our days of consistency are coming to a close.

You know I wonder if it is the weather change. Hemi has been waking me pretty early lately too. We normally get up at 6:30, lately he has been trying 5:30. Which sucks because going back to sleep 1 hour before the alarm goes off sucks. He gets up in bed with me, lays his head on my legs, Then rolls over and lays against my legs, then rolls away from me, then gets down from bed. Sometimes before he gets up in bed with me he will stand on the edge of the bed and rest his head on the mattress right in front of my face, snort cause I am not responding. The cutest one, sometimes I am sound asleep and my hand is hanging over the edge of the bed, he will come up under it and put his head in it, like scratch my head dad.

My revenge like this morning was when he jumped up in bed with me and woke me up, I waited for a bit until he was tossing and turning. Reached down and grabbed him and flipped him around so his head was on the pillow and he was forced to snuggle up, which I planted kisses on him. Every time he tried to get up and move, nope, start planting kisses on him and belly rubs and well he has to lay back down for that. Finally the little turd fell back to sleep, half hour before the alarm went off. Not sure who is the winner in my battle here but its a lot more fun. But I am getting tired and glad its the weekend.

Ah, C'mon now, don't you ever need a snack early? Like Macy, I'm betting on Kimber!

House Broken
    Another early riser here...Moka wakes up at 4 am and she is ready to go!!!
    I have never been able to train her out of this habit, no matter what I do.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by thndrkttn View Post
    Kimber and Thea are a day apart and lately, we've been noticing little changes as well. We've come to rely on routine and all of sudden it's "No, I'm not going to go #2 before I come in." Wait, whut?

There's also more activity at night; on the bed, off the bed, ear flapping, on the bed, off the bed, on the bed, circle, circle, circle, circle, flop.

I think our days of consistency are coming to a close.
    Dang, you may be on to something. Do you think it's possible that our girls have decided that now they are seniors, they don't have to be good anymore? Like those old ladies who dress in purple and wear big red hats and talk about how it's finally "me" time?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos