Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New

Puppy

New

So happy to find this site. Have lots of questions about my aging girl and like the rest of you find this process painful. Holly is nearly 11, and especially this summer we've seen dramatic changes. 1st -- we've discovered she's almost completely lost her hearing. 2nd -- walking more than a mile at a time leaves her panting and heavily breathing for up to an hour after. 3rd -- her breathing seems deeper, maybe a bit labored, especially on warmer days. 4th -- goose season opens tomorrow ... my husband cannot bear to leave her behind and I worry about her physical capacity, although not going will surely break her heart. You are all obviously crazy in love with your four-legged friends and can probably relate to our anxiety about this new world we're entering into. Any words of advice are appreciated.

Hello and welcome! So sorry to hear about Holly and her problems. Although I lost my girl last year at 14+, I really don't know that much about seniors because the only problem we had to the last day was bilateral hip arthritis. However, there are people here who know a lot about senior labs and their problems. It's still a bit too early, but I guess the Forum will become a bit more active in a few hours. Sending good thoughts for Holly and keeping our fingers and paws crossed, so you find positive answers to your questions. M&M
    Also, you might get some info faster if you post one more time here Senior Labrador Health as this section focuses on senior dogs and their health problems. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hello and Welcome!

So glad to have another senior in the flock. We home senior labs. They are so precious, the best of the best.

To respond to some of your comments:
    1. Our Bandit was completely deaf at about age 11. The adjustment was very easy for us. I used a lot of hand signals for everything, nothing special, just what he was used to. I spoke the words and used the hand signal. It didn't take him long to figure them out. With a hand signal he would know that Dad was home before Mardi, who has excellent hearing. I kept up the verbal because of Mardi but Bandit and I would have some fabulous conversations without saying a word. Key into your movements, facial expressions, head movements; dogs are already keying into them. Only months before he passed, Bandit passed his CGC completely with hand signals. For outside time after dark, I clipped a Nite Ize light on his collar (found it at Home Depot), easily found on line. If he was facing away from me and I wanted his attention, I shown a flash light in front of him, moving it back and forth. It was his signal to pay attention to me.

2. With warmer weather, you need to cut back on the exercise with seniors. Our Mardi has hip and knee arthritis so her walks are short, what she can tolerate. I do encourage a vet exam with a senior blood panel be done just to make sure there is nothing else going on. Unless absolutely necessary, do not cut out walks completely; they are such a joy for Holly, just moderate.

3. The warm weather is much harder on the seniors. Outside times for Mardi (who is now 11) are closely monitored. Again, the vet visit to make sure nothing else is going on.

4. I feel for Holly not going goose hunting. Would suggest the thorough checkup first and go from there.

So glad you and Holly joined. Please keep us updated.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

holly10 (09-06-2014)

Welcome!
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

just want to say hello and welcome!

Welcome!

Poptop gave great advice.

Our almost 3 year old no longer goes on long walks as he has a herniated disc in his neck that leads to limping for a couple days. This was the dog who would run for 3 hours through the forest. He has a better more comfortable life when we skip the long walks.

Took me a while to come to terms with this. But, it is what it is.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to you and Holly!
    Our Murphy is nine years old and the heat really affects him.
    Hidden Content

Murphy at Carmel Beach

Born 5/1/05
    Found his forever home 1/21/12

Senior Dog
    welcome !

hard to watch them age, but harder to lose them too early.

Hello and welcome!

Puppy
    Thank you! I look forward to following all of you! Today was rained out so the hunt was not even up for discussion. Whew! Holly will go see the vet this week just to make sure the deeper breathing/panting is normal and not something more sinister. Everything I've read tells me it's just age, but I want to rule out anything with her heart. Labs are great .. but as owners, we're a special breed all our own!! Wish I had the room to have a dozen of them!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to holly10 For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (09-01-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos