Senior Dog

Vacationing with our Kimber dog

We just returned from a long weekend at a beach house just south of Tallahassee. Thank you to the board members who suggested looking into the Florida panhandle! It was the perfect trip.

One of the reasons it was so amazing was that we were able to take Kimber. It took some hunting, but I found a place through VRBO that allowed dogs. After we arrived, we discovered that the owners (who lived next door) had two yellow labs themselves. How perfect is that? The dogs didn't interact much but the stress level is much lower when you're around people who know and love labs. The house was all one-level, with just four steps down to the beach. Kimber struggled a bit just on those 4 steps, so I'm really glad I'd ruled out houses with lots of stairs. Kimber's absolutely favorite thing to do was to sit in the shade of the backyard with me while I read and looked at the water.

I thought she'd love the gulf, but she's physically weaker than I realized. She was excited to get into the water, but the slight current, small waves, and sandy/unstable ground really unnerved her. She had a great time splish-splashing in the very edge and sniffing all the seaweed that washed up, and each evening we'd take a nice long walk on the beach. I'm sad we never had the time to do this trip before her injury; she used to love to swim.

We didn't eat out much but when we did, we sought out restaurants with outside seating and they were happy to let us bring Kimber. At one place, they even brought out a dog dish and a water pitcher just for her.

Overall, I think Kimber would give the trip 2 paws up: lots of time with us, lots of new smells and places, lots of opportunities to greet new people. Here's a picture of her just chillaxin:

-stteresa3-jpg

Isn't it nice when all get to go. I take Opie everywhere I can. We recently went to CA for a couple days and my son sent me vids of Opie. It kind of made it worse because he seemed to be looking for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Awww. Sounds like a great time. I love it when I get to take Charlie with me on vacations.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie55 For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

House Broken
    What a great time! I would love to take a trip like that with my dogs, or at least one of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridget For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Sounds like an excellent trip. Glad Kimber had a good time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Sounds like Kimber had a great time!! I love when they can come with us. I get such anxiety having to go without them. We are planing a trip to Jamaica next year and I'm already dreading being away from them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltieluver For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Senior Dog
    Sounds like a fun time for all. Glad Kimber had a great time. Lovely girl.

KAZ

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Sounds like a fun weekend! We love VRBO and have taken Lola on three different trips to places that we found on VRBO. Just search, hit the filter button for rentals that allow pets, and see what's available.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SCDoug For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (05-27-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos