Thread: Holistic Select

Holistic Select

After contemplating different foods to switch Sam to, I finally settled on giving Holistic Select a try. I went with the Adult Health Lamb meal formula. My hope is that by switching brands of food and changing to a different protein, his anal gland issues will clear up. Right now, he has to go to the vet every 4-6 weeks to get his anal glands expressed, and at $35 a pop it's getting kind of expensive. So we'll see if this makes a difference. I was kind of frustrated at the store I bought the food at. I never thought to check the expiration date on the bag and when I was loading it into the car I saw it said Best by August 31, 2014. So, I took the bag back in and the other 30 pound bag on their shelf had a best by date of September 17, 2014. They ended up exchanging the 30 pound bag for two 15 pound bags with expiration dates in 2015. If this food works, I'll have to be careful of the best by dates at this store. The manager said the food would still be fine but I felt better not taking a chance.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Senior Dog
    I really like Holistic Select...I also buy the Lamb formula...Toby does well on it and likes it very much.

I use HS on my rotation and use the Duck & Sweet Potatoe and Fish & Rice Adult. Works great.

Did the vet ever indicate that his glands are infected or just do not empty out. The reason I ask, if they do not flush on their own, he is not getting enough calcium, like from raw bones-not cooked. Any bone in any kibble is always cooked in the extrusion process and the chemical and physical properties are changed. If he is not allergic to chicken, give him some chicken backs (you can have the butcher at your grocery order), remove the skin or loose fat (the fattiness causes loose poops) and give him one per day, just cut back a little on his kibble. Turkey or chicken necks work great also.

His poops will firm up to very solid and turn a little yellow color from the extra bile used to digest the bone-if they are hard that is OK but dry and sandy looking is too dry, but after about 2-3 days, I bet the glands will start flushing on their own. He may strain a little at first to get things moving, but that is what flushes out the glnds.

Good luck and Happy Poops.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos