Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best Friend Retriever

Bad Black Eye from Walking Molly

Took a bad tumble while walking Molly on Friday morning. She likes to go up a steep dirt bank across from our house to do her business. Just as she was finishing, I made the mistake of saying "Wanna go to the park, Molly?" She came tearing down the bank so she had that momentum behind her & ran straight for the park. I was still at a standstill when she hit the end of her 18 foot leash at full speed. She yanked me right off my feet & I fell hard on the road, landing mostly on my face. Broke my glasses, & I had to lay there in the road for a minute before I could figure out if I was o.k. enough to get up. My cheekbone swelled immediately, & I was afraid that was broken. I was able to get up & go in the house & clean up a bit, but I couldn't see very well. My cheekbone was so swollen I thought I'd better go to my dr, an hour's drive away. They cleaned up all the abrasions & made sure I didn't have a concussion. They didn't think my eye socket or cheekbone were broken, but they didn't x-ray it, & the cheekbone is still so sore & swollen I'm still kind of wondering about that. I have a horrible black eye, but the swelling on it is slowly getting better--it is almost as open as the other eye now. But the white part is all red, & there all all the crazy colors around it, & each day the discoloration extends farther down my face. My whole left side of my face is now discolored, & there is a weird purple line that extends from the corner of my nose, down my smile line next to my mouth, down past my chin, & partway down my throat. I have to go to work looking like this tomorrow.

Poor Molly seemed so depressed that day & she still is a bit, but seems to be doing better. I know that was an accident & she didn't mean to do that, but it was a wake up call! I never thought she would have the strength to do that. She is 10 yrs old, & I'm 61 & don't "bounce" as well as I used to, so I guess I'll have to keep working on keeping her under better control, & trying to keep the excitement level down.....

OH MY, I am sorry that you had this Accident! The bruising will run down your face-to-face due to gravity, that's ok. I'm not sure about the purple line, it could be where you landed but I would have another doctor visit with an X-Ray to be sure. This is not something you want to risk healing incorrectly.

I had a very similar accident a month ago with Jax. I was lucky in that I landed in the sand. I can only imagine how you feel. You will be in our prayers. (Jax was upset after it happened as well.) I just loved him up and told him it was ok. He was at my side the next few days. Hopefully Molly will 'heal' as you do. Again, prayers for speedy healing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax's Mom For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    Oh boy, sending heaps of healing thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery! The bruising may persist for what seems to be a long time but it won't...one day without warning it will have disappeared.

Poor Molly- she probably know your not well and is sad about that....the first time I had a fall with my lab she just looked at me and I could see she was worried. They are such sweet things you can't be mad with them for all their crazy enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Georgie; 09-02-2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

You poor thing! I'm so sorry you got hurt. Sounds very painful. I hope you heal quickly and can get back to walking Molly. Just watch what you say!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

I hope everything heals up quickly! On a lead that long they can really build up some speed and when the reach the end- watch out! I've been pulled down also, also on sand though. Chase wasn't the least bit contrite.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

Ouch hope you can heal quickly.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaJo11 For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

Oh my! Molly must really like the park! I hope you heal up quickly. That must be the worst injury caused by a lab that I've ever read on here.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoopsaDaisy For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

Oh gee, I hope nothing is broken. I bet you're going to get all stuffed up in your nose and have a hard time breathing. Not to mention, what can you do about your appearance for work? Lucky, I guess, that you didn't break an arm or leg though.

You know who is going to get some backlash from this? Your DH. My broken nose and two black eyes were from a car accident but the OH, then BF, was suspect according to talk I heard about.

I can just see this in my mind because I saw it in real life when a dog walking buddy was yanked off his feet by his big Lab. Both were standing still when the dog saw a bird and that man went up in the air and horizontal. Molly had the force of movement to make your fall worse. Hope you feel better soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

I also think an x-ray would be a good idea, hope you feel better soon.

Your post gave me chills. I had a holy crap that was close moment not too long ago. There was a duck in a river at the bottom of an embankment but the leash luckily slipped out of my hand and only hurt my baby finger.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

So sorry to hear that; hope you're okay and fully healed soon. Years ago something similar almost happened to me: Walking Lynn, I had to climb under a railing. She was ahead of me and when I was standing up, she spotted a cat, dashed forward, I landed flat on the ground, but luckily managed to protect my face with my arms. She dragged me in the snow about five yards before she realized there was something going on. They are incredibly strong; when I imagined myself dragging somebody twice as heavy as me in wet snow and be able to run, it made me laugh. Well, I did find it funny because I got away unhurt, only wet and dirty. Sending good thoughts and hugs. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeLynn For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (09-02-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos