Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog owner

Puppy

Lightbulb New dog owner

Hi, I am a new dog owner. I have an adorable going on 5 month old Black Lab. We got her as from a rescue here in South Dakota when she was 12 weeks old. We did six weeks of training at Pet Smart. She is still a maniac. She is also part Border Collie, but looks and acts like a Lab. She's smart, cute and has highly selective hearing. I am looking forward to the forum and learning from everyone. I am thinking of doing a private training class with her. She has calmed down some, but I need her to hear me so we can go on long walks and swimming etc. We have six acres and she has two zip lines. We also have two hostiles (cats). Not going so well in that department. It is the older cats' fault.

Senior Dog
    are there any other classes you can find? like a puppy kindergarten.

Welcome! I wouldnt expect your pup to slow down for a while. Bacon is a year old and he is just starting to grow up, although he is still pretty crazy at times.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Welcome! Our Mocha is a year old and we have an 11 year old Cat, Duchess. I think Duchess does tease Mocha a bit. He wants to play and she wants him to leave her alone. She will get him riled up on the carpet area and then zoom down the hardwood hallway where she can get traction but he cannot. But for the most part, they peacefully co-exist.

Mocha also has selective hearing also, especially outside. I try to break the distraction before it takes hold and shuts off his hearing. We have 5 acres and have an invisible fence around about 3 acres. This helps Mocha expend his energy. A tired pup is a good pup.

Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to the board!

BC x Lab is a really, really, really smart dog crossed with a really, really smart dog. You are going to need a lot of really's yourself to keep up and I suggest 6 weeks of PetSmart is really not nearly enough training class. Can you find another group class to join? Group classes will help the most as probably the greatest distraction to tempt your pup is going to be another dog. Plus, classes tend to have a fringe benefit of bonding your dog to you, and they're fun.

Welcome to the board. What is puppy's name? Can we see a photo?

Hmmm, zip lines. Not unsupervised I hope? Even supervised we have heard tales of dogs running and hitting the end and being badly injured in their necks. Or the line wrapping around a leg and even as much as breaking it. By zip line I'm thinking of something like she is tied to a clothesline?

agree witht the above!

Your puppy needs two big things right now - LOTS of exercise, free play off leash (think like an hour off leash per day). How does the ziplines work? Is she always tied up and if so, how much space can she move around on to play and run? Do you actively play with her?

The other big part is training training training. and more training. A big part of this can be fun and games but both labs and even more so BC's need tons of mental stimulation (as much as physical). This means you have to challenge them mentally via training and games (or best training games). 2-3 short sessions a day and then make them work for their food on top of that.
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Hi and Welcome! Lab and BC cross sounds really challenging Can't wait to see some pics of her and good luck. M&M
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hello and Welcome!

Agree with all the above suggestions. Do you have an area where she can run off leash in your yard? She needs the exercise.

Hello and welcome-looking forward to pics of your girl!

Welcome!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos