Puppy

Leash Training 10 Week Old Lab

I brought my 10 week old Lab home about a week ago. He's a typical lab in all the usual ways, but when I put a lease on him he sits down and won't move. I'm currently using a Martingale collar so it doesn't slip off. Any suggestion on how to get him started on leash walking?

Sorry if this topic has been addressed before. I couldn't find anything with all the usual search words.

Stu

House Broken
    Start smaller. Put the leash on him, but don't pick up the other end. Play with him, get him to drag the leash around, just to get used to the feeling of it.

+1 on starting small let him drag it around the house running around. you want him to make the leash fun and enjoyable.

Hello... Sophie at 10 weeks balked at the leash. Sat and refused to move. I had visions of "Marley and me." I had to switch harness to the gentle lead to another harness. I did actually stop for awhile trying to force her to walk down the road. It is VERY hot in the panhandle with thick high humidity. I didn't push it with her. Well.. she is now 9 months old... and in the few weeks she somehow is walking next to me or trotting while I jog.. her idea. She does stop on occasion to inspect a scent... and I tell her to leave it... but do give her chances to smell out the half mile circle we live on. She has the strong signs of being a good jogging buddy... she is walking next to me beautifully. never would have believe it..lolol... She is a treasure to have. I love her so much. What a happy girl. good luck! Sophie's mom

Puppy
    Thanks for the replies! We're going to try some leash dragging this weekend, and maybe some treat reinforced walking.

The thing I like to do w/ my puppies is to allow the end of the leash to "dangle" in front of their muzzles. Mine think it's great fun to "walk" themselves-- it makes it their idea. Once I start to formalize leash work, I'll use a lure (kibble at first, then string cheese) to teach them "where" I want them (heel position). If you start out w/ great positioning, it becomes muscle memory (and hey, that's where the treats are given too), and they are MUCH less likely to want to drag you down the street for a walk.
    Good habits = good foundations = much less work for handler/owner later on!
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to windycanyon For This Useful Post:

LoveLab (10-19-2014)

Puppy
    To be expected! too young to be too worried about that. Use lots of treats to distract him…put treats ahead of his nose. When he moves, say "yes" and treat. Practice 2-3 times then stop. Few times a day. NO CORRECTION!!!!!!

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    The thing I like to do w/ my puppies is to allow the end of the leash to "dangle" in front of their muzzles. Mine think it's great fun to "walk" themselves-- it makes it their idea. Once I start to formalize leash work, I'll use a lure (kibble at first, then string cheese) to teach them "where" I want them (heel position). If you start out w/ great positioning, it becomes muscle memory (and hey, that's where the treats are given too), and they are MUCH less likely to want to drag you down the street for a walk.
    Good habits = good foundations = much less work for handler/owner later on!
    Windy is BANG ON - start with the correct position. The correct heel position is dog on your left side - dogs right ear on your left leg. This ensures that no matter what - the dog is easily moved into a foose position or behind you OUT OF THE WAY...not just walking beside you on your left hand side. Teaching the correct heel position at this age will save you a lot of work as the dog grows. Once you teach the heel side - get them used to the right side as well (the foose side). Your dog is just a pup so don't get frustrated with this!! A martingale can be a great training tool for a puppy if it isn't abused. Good luck!

I'm not sure a 10 week old puppy is capable of any type heeling? I always start them with a flexi and the ones we raise are all eventually off leash trained , the sub task with a puppy needs to be ''move in my direction'' very informal very short sessions https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9a275RvH_dKAS3 there are lots of tips on here many of these dogs appear in later videos as off leash dogs

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos