Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Nipping/Mouthing

Cash is 14 months old and his nipping/mouthing is really bad. It is NOT aggressive, it is how he plays. We do not encourage it ever, and we have tried numerous ways to break the habit. Nothing has worked! We have stopped play, ignored him, walked away. We have redirected by immediately giving him a chew toy (he has numerous appropriate toys to chew on, which he does). We have tried lemon juice on his tongue(he actually likes the taste). etc, etc. Any suggestions???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to queenmand For This Useful Post:

CraftHer (09-04-2014)

This sounds like what Mocha does, too. It's not biting and it's not aggressive, but he'll put his teeth on us when he plays. Sometimes, I think it's almost affection. But it is NEVER ok to put teeth on us. So far, we've not been able to find a deterrent, either. Mocha gets good exercise and plenty of toys to chew on. So any suggestions would be doubly appreciated!

Real Retriever
    Sunshine, my black gal, was a Spawn Of Satan puppy. BITING from 12 to 16 weeks old, I still have scars!!! When I finally got her off that, I think she just outgrew it actually... I used the OUCH!!!!! Grab the mouthed area, hug it close, curl up a bit, and pretend they REALLY hurt you!!! Keep repeating OUCH (or OWWW, or your choice of words) while looking at them and cradling the spot. I did not yell at her, just turned away and pretended to 'protect' the hurt area while going OUCH OUCH OUCH. NO more playing. Avoid them. End of game.

What was a really fun game now becomes a bad thing, YOU do not want to play anymore!!! I know it is a horrible thing to admit to, but Sunshine was over a year old before I got the nerve to actually put my hand in her mouth. I could open her mouth to do 'examinations' but to place my hand there, was a huge hurdle for me. My little gal did not carry sticks, she carried large branches. She DESTROYED 2" TREES, this was NOT a soft Mouthed little thing. Same as with GRABBING treats from me. "Be gentle" took a looong time to get through to her, I used the same OUCH technique. Just be consistent with whatever you decide on.

At 3, the word OUCH will get her to drop whatever and look at me for direction. She is not ready for raw eggs, but Styrofoam cups barely have dents in them now.

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I don't recommend grabbing the dog by the snout and shutting it closed. This actually can hurt the dog, and dogs HATE IT. I never suggest you do that. A lot of dogs that are taught this way can get into the habit of reacting to someones hand coming at them and snapping - especially young children. I'm not saying it doesn't work - its just not something I do.

The best way to stop mouthing is to prevent it. Don't horse around with the dog and allow him to nip and mouth (even if he doesn't touch you). A puppy has a really hard time learning that mouthing is only appropriate SOMETIMES. The more excited the dog gets, the more he wants to mouth - this is how they played with their litter mates. If a dog bites or hurts you, a lot of positive reinforcement training will tell you to whimper and yelp and then give the dog a time out and stop the play. This is all fine and dandy.

The way that I teach a pup that is mouthing biting or nipping at me making contact with teeth - I will jowl pinch the dog immediately (pinch the jowls so you have control of the dog) and raise him up so that his front paws are off the floor. I'll lean into their face and say "no biting" (or whatever command you want to use) in a calm assertive voice. It's still a puppy - we are not trying to yell and get angry with them - they don't know any better. Just re-inforce to the dog that is not acceptable behavior. It really won't take long to stop this habit.
    Last edited by xracer4844; 09-16-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Has he always done this? Have you consulted a trainer about his behavior?

Do you mean 14 months or 14 weeks? That would make a big difference in the advice offered, I think.

If 14 months, get into training classes. No teeth on skin EVER! What really worked with Archie was I soaked my hands in vinegar, and then played tug with him. He was bad in a game of tug about choking up on the rope until eventually he went for a hand. One taste of that vinegar skin coupled with a firm correction, he's never done it to me again. also, I quit playing with him when his eyes turn manic - he can't control himself in that mode.

If 14 weeks, totally different story. It's normal at that age, and there are a lot of different methods for dealing with it. Mostly, it just takes time.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever xracer4844's Avatar
    I completely misread this original post. I read 4 months not 14 months. Meeps83's post made me re-read the original thinking I missed something. 14 months is completely different than 4 months. This habit should have been broken many many months ago, and usually the dog stops this behavior on their own if not taught.

I see that you said you re-direct with another toy. What does he do when you present him with the appropriate toy? Does he start nipping and mouthing on his own, or only when you get him excited and in a playful mood? Have you gone to obedience classes or completed any formal training?

I think you need professional help with the biting but perhaps these things will help

1. More exercise. He may just do it because he needs to burn some energy
    2. Appropriate chew things, stuffed kongs or raw meaty bones. He may need to curb that desire to chew
    3. Obedience training. Helps to build a relationship and gives you the tools to control the dog
    4. NILIF, puts you in charge
    Charlie and Burton

Real Retriever
    Yes, 14 MONTHS is a whole different story! Try the more exercise! And not just leash walking. Full out off leash run like a nut FUN time! There might be a lot of excess energy in that little package that needs an outlet. Also seek out training to help YOU understand why they are doing it.

At 14 months old, even with my over energetic spawn of Satan pup. I Expect to be able to have her open her mouth and be able to put my hand in it to give an 'examination.'

House Broken
    Get into an obedience class asap. It sounds like you need someone experienced who can give you hands on advice. My expectations for a pup is that all teeth on skin stops before 5 months. My goal is 4 months and it is usually met. When I have taken in older dogs who mouth I correct it quickly. A dog who mouths a kid is likely to have an owner who ends up sued. I always have kids in the house and yard so I deal with a mouthing dog quickly and make it clear that no mouth on skin is allowed. It sounds like the substitute a toy is just not working. Are you also saying NO in a clear, mean sounding voice? I would as the dog goes to mouth- before it touches skin. The intent is a correctable moment. I would go so far as to grab the dog as it went to put it's mouth on me. I would not allow it to continue. Get some help from an experienced trainer so you can correct this behavior.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (09-17-2014), Sue (09-17-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos